We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying beach chairs

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
374 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Buying beach chairs

We will be on the island November 9th-22nd. We were looking to see if someone wanted to split the cost of beach chairs & an umbrella. We don't need them till the 16th really. Is anyone interesting in splitting the cost? We could buy yours or we could buy them and trade them off to you. Just checking!

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying beach chairs

Why do you want to purchase beach chairs? I believe I saw them for sale at Chedraui last week. Depending on where you are staying you can use them for free. Since we stayed at Ixchel we just walked out to the beach each morning (or afternoon) and the attendant got us chairs and an umbrella. If you decide to visit a beach club you can basically get them for free with the purchase of food and drinks. You definitely need to keep hydrated. Kalak prices were 7 pesos for 1 drink and 9 pesos for 2 drinks. I think a lot of the beach bars/clubs have a special like this. The food prices were pretty reasonable.

Do you want to haul chairs and an umbrella around? Are you staying on Playa Norte?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
374 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying beach chairs

We are renting a house on the southwest side of the island. I guess we could just rent them.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying beach chairs

I think dcikon2 meant 70 pesos and 90 pesos for drinks at Kalak. I would probably drink too much if there were 7 pesos! :)

Every time I have checked at Chedraui, the only kind of chairs they have had are the Coleman type camping chairs, not beach chairs.

Costco in Cancun has some nice backpack beach chairs. You could stop on your way to the ferry and get them. I know a lot of people that use them and some rental properties stock them for guest use. Maybe someone will come along that wants to split the cost with you. The last user could give them to a local or their rental properties manager.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
770 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying beach chairs

I like to have my own so I can move around or just stay for an hour or two. Our last trip we weren't able to find anyone to share in the cost and took the chance of finding some at Chedraui...no go. Ended up costing us nearly $150 to rent them for our 16 day stay :( and we had to commit to staying at one beach each day...I have had luck in the past with sharing so keep your post current and good luck! When we arrive this time, we will make the stop at Walmart and purchase two and hand them to someone getting off the ferry as we get on! I need a comfortable beach chair at the beach, we're prone to settling in for long days...

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,322 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying beach chairs

Sonrisas rentals (Barlito) offers beach chair and umbrella rental. I assume the 180 pesos is for one chair, so it would be 360 for two + 275 for an umbrella. Roughly 48 - 50 dollars a week. If you don’t want the umbrella, it’s just 27 dollars to rent two chairs. And you can take them where ever you like.

www.sonrisascatering.com/Sonrisas_Rentals.php

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying beach chairs

We have our own chairs and I like that option of being able to go anywhere. If you head over by the hostel or anywhere along that side, no one rents chairs over there. I may only have 2 hours to spend at Playa Norte and I don't want to pay for rental on that short amount of time.

The backpack chairs are easy to haul around. You can take a collapsable cooler with your own food and drink or opt to buy from a vendor. I am with capiegirl....I like having options.....

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying beach chairs

Have to add that committing to the same lounger for a day near so many others is not real relaxing for me and hubby. We love our backpack chairs and they also have a cooler attached to the seat back. We wander around looking like turtles until we decide on a nice shady spot under a palm and settle in for 'awhile'. Usually we end up near Tarzan's where food and beverages are offered... or over at Avalon... or the municipal beach - depends on wind and how much depth we want for our water entry, which depends on how hot it is! ha ha - so many decisions :). We need to replace our chairs soon, so hopefully Costco or somewhere in Cancun has some in stock next time we are down. They rust fairly quickly and the zippers and fabric go first :(

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying beach chairs

There were very few people on the beach on the other side of Tarzan towards Fenix/Avalon. I think most of those people brought their own chairs. I guess since I was staying right on Playa Norte I didn't see the need to rent chairs. While driving around the island I did notice a couple neat beaches on the Caribbean side. This would be for people who like to frolic in the waves. The one downside was that there was little to no shade.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying beach chairs

capiegirl, I don't think Walmart has the back pack chairs, as far as I know only Costco does,

Sedro Woolley...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying beach chairs

We stayed at 2 places on our most recent trip to Isla that provided backpack style chairs and we loved using them. Thanks, Seahawk and Caribbean Casa. The freedom to move & to spend time in less busy areas was amazing. The first day my husband insisted we rent lounges and be able to order drinks. Being a wonderful individual, he agreed to try the provided backpack chairs the next day . We are both hoping to continue enjoying Isla's beaches in backpack chairs, lounges or sitting in the sand....it's all wonderful.