We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming with the whale sharks

oz
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
swimming with the whale sharks

I will be swimming with the whale sharks soon and have a question. If you wear a wetsuit do you have to wear a life vest ? Is the current strong out by where they are ? thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming with the whale sharks

No, you don't need a life jacket if you are wearing a wetsuit. It will make you so buoyant that it will be like wearing a full-body life jacket, but will be much easier to manage since life jackets have a tendency to ride up around your head.

There may be current but you don't really notice it, since there are no visual landmarks. You will be too far out to see any shoreline and the water is about 100 feet deep so you can't see the bottom. Last time I went, the water seemed dead calm but I was informed later we had drifted about two miles during the time we were with the whale sharks. I would never have known. If conditions are normal it's really an easy thing to do--plus it's so exciting that you forget all about these kinds of things.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming with the whale sharks

ITA with DMartin. You'll not need to wear both. The wetsuit is very buoyant, but allows you much more freedom in the water. You will be able to dive under to get a better view of the sharks and still will float back to the surface. Jorge mentiond to us as well that throughout the course of swimming with the sharks we'd floated about a mile and a half, but to us it never felt like we'd moved at all from the original spot.

oz
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming with the whale sharks

Thank you for the info super excited !

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming with the whale sharks

Unless you're not a strong swimmer, the wetsuit is a no-brainer. Many tour operators have them you can rent dirt cheap. Make sure to ask so you can reserve one ahead of time.

Enjoy! It's an amazing experience.

5. Re: swimming with the whale sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:20