We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirTran airlines

Manchester...
Level Contributor
100 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
AirTran airlines

I'm considering using AirTran out of Atlanta. I've not really heard of them before and was wondering if anybody had any previous experience with them? I've not seen if any baggage is included with their pricing or if it's extra. Is there anything else I should be aware of different than Delta that I'm used to?

I've read that they were in the process of merging with Southwest Airlines due to be complete at the end of 2014.

Cantrell

Houston
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AirTran airlines

If you are flying coach then it will be $25 for every checked bag. You are allowed one carry-on bag and one small personal bag (i.e. laptops, purse, briefcase etc) at no charge.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 18:24
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
350 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirTran airlines

We've used Air Tran several times between IND and RSW. Have never had any problems.

New England
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirTran airlines

I researched Airtran and posted this on the Cancun forum. Hope it helps.

tripadvisor.ca/…51712022

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
782 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirTran airlines

Is anybody aware of how much the fee is to upgrade to business class?

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirTran airlines

We flew AirTran from MCI (Kansas City) to Cancun via Atlanta 3 weeks ago. I was very pleased with AirTran. I must mention that the seats flying back from Atlanta to Kansas City were close together. If you upgrade to business class online I believe the cost was $69 or $89 from Atlanta to Cancun. It may be worth it depending on how much room you like. The seats have quite a bit more room. I would definitely upgrade if it was a longer flight. We always had movies on Delta when flying from Atlanta to Puerto Rico. There are no movies on AirTran. I love Delta, but had free tickets on AirTran for this last trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirTran airlines

We're flying AirTran for the first time two weeks from now. We were told $25 for the first checked bag and $35 for an additional bag. And yes, they are a Southwest subsidiary; Southwest is attempting to get routes to Cancun but in the meantime all they offer is through AirTran.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirTran airlines

Air Tran has been great for us on flights from Baltimore to Cancun and Montego Bay. If all you are looking for is extra leg room, much cheaper to pay the $20 per person per way (approx) for an exit row. They are very roomy.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
438 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirTran airlines

Dmartin,

someone asked a question about airtran on another thread and the discussion went to the southwest buy of Airtran. At that time we had flown strictly with airtran to mexico and had not, obviously, used Southwest.

We just got back and we were not charged checked bag fees. Part of our iterinerary was operated by Southwest. We flew to San Antonio on Southwest and then took Airtran to Cancun. Our daughter and her friend came back earlier then we did, using Airtran exclusively the whole way and were charged the $25 1st bag fee.

I had called Southwest before we left to ask about our bag charges and southwest said "they would" collect the bag fee for Airtran---but they never did. We either lucked out or Southwest will not collect bag fees for airtran if Southwest is involved in the itinerary. So, when we left home airport, SW did not collect any money for the bags and the bags remained checked until arrival at Cancun. On the way back from Cancun, we checked in with Airtran and the bags were not charged, when we got to San Antonio we had to claim our bag and then re-check it with SW for the last leg of the itinerary--again no charge.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
641 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirTran airlines

We like AirTran and hate Southwest. Always upgrade to business class since dh is tall. If they have unsold upgraded seats, they sell them cheaper at the airport but you can never be assured that you will get them. Seemed like they were always available returning from Cancun but not going there. I will be sad when Southwest takes over the rest of their flights in 2014. Julie

Harpswell, Maine
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AirTran airlines

I fly AirTran almost exclusively domestically, and will be flying back from Cancun (with a stopover in ATL) this fall. I've never had a problem with the domestic flights on Airtran and have been flying them for many years between New England and the Midwest. I'm also a serial carry-on ONLY type of traveller so I can't speak to checked luggage fees or experience, nor anything other than economy seats. If your priorities are getting there safely and on time at a good price, then I definitely recommend them!