We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hygiene and safety questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
202 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hygiene and safety questions

Hi

We just came back from Isla and is going again for Christmas. There were some issues that came up while we were there.

We only drank purified water and also used it for brushing our teeth but I wasn;t sure on washing baby bottles (my girls are two years old but still like a night bottle). I washed them in water that I had pretreated with the fruit wash and dish soap. Is this safe? How do people do normal dishes. We took probiotics 2 weeks before and during and didnt get sick but I dont want to ruin my vacation being sick.

Has anyone gone on a golf cart with two 2.5 year olds. Is that safe? Is there any way to strap them in? We would like to see some other parts of the islands. Are there other safer ways to go around the island?

Thanks!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hygiene and safety questions

You did a lot of good stuff. Don't pack this but once there buy a small bottle of bleach. None of the scented stuff. only takes a couple drops in the baby bottle..wait a few minutes...then flush with bottled water. Same for washing dishes. Wash first with soap. Baby shampoo is a good all around soap. Rinse. That can be with tap water. Fill the sink and add a capful of bleach. Let them sit a tad. Final rinse with bottled water. BTW.. putting the items out in the sun afterward is a good idea. UV kills bacteria.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hygiene and safety questions

Much of this depends on where you are staying. Most of the nicer hotels, condos and homes have filtered water and while it is still a good idea to ingest the filtered water, washing dishes is fine. We have our water at home filtered, but we still drink the bottled water. We brush teeth, wash veggies, dishes and everything just with the tap water. If you are concerned, I think your ideas are good, just use the purified water.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hygiene and safety questions

My kiddos never used bottles, but I used to wash their sippy cups with tap water and dish detergent, and then gave them a quick rinse of purified water, (this was MANY years ago!) and let them air dry, never had any problems.

I don't think I'd take 2-2 yr olds on a golf cart unless there was and adult to hold on to each of them. There is really no way to strap them in. When I had a little one he always sat in front between Perry & I.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
665 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hygiene and safety questions

We had our 3 year old last year with us on golf cart everyday. We put him in the front seat and mom sat in the back with another person - I sat behind him - we wrapped the towel around him and I held onto it / tied it / or stepped on it. Kept him in place just fine. When he would start to fall asleep I would tell dad - and he would put his head in his lap..... and we would cruise. Not saying right, wrong or different but it worked for us and made me feel a lot better.

5. Re: Hygiene and safety questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 05:16