We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf carts

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warrensburg, MO
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golf carts

It seems that the two main companies who rent nice golf carts are prisma and ciro? If that's true which do you prefer? Are both companies near the ferry?

michigan
Level Contributor
821 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf carts

We have rented from Gomar 2 and they were great and the cart was fast.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,660 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf carts

There are several companies, not just those two. Check out the "getting around Isla" Top Question for a listing of all recommended companies and their contact info.

Prisma is closer to the ferry than Ciro. Many people stay with one company out of loyalty but that doesn't mean other companies aren't equally good :)

Edited: 15 September 2013, 15:37
Warrensburg, MO
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf carts

Ok thanks. It just seemed after looking at the forum that most people appear to choose either prisma or ciro.

Maybe the better question would be who has well maintained, fast carts?

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf carts

We rented from our Ixchel (golf cart company on premises) due to Ciros not having a cart the days we wanted one. I didn't think about contacting them ahead of time (the day before). As many people on the forum has suggested, rent the cart for at least 24 hours. This will allow you to drive around early and at dusk/night. Make sure to get a cart with lights. A few companies near the ferry offer cheaper carts, but they don't have lights. I liked our cart, but it didn't go as fast as would have liked even though I believe it went as fast as most other carts we saw. I think a lot of where you rent from depends if you are staying on the island or coming over for a day.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,660 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf carts

We usually rent from Ciro's and have had good luck (mostly) in getting well-maintained carts. One had to be returned on our last trip in May and they changed it readily. OTOH, DM rented from them and if you read his live trip report, it was very slow. Ours was zippy. I suppose if there are other carts available they'll be happy to change it for you if you're unsatisfied with yours.

San Antonio, Texas...
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf carts

Ciro's and in my opinion take care and check their carts. I had an issue with them in regards to a bad running cart in 2012; they replaced the cart immediately.

With the other vendor, this past July 2013 I went through 3 carts and they all had issues and I still wasn't satisfied with their response and service. The carts all came to us, with trash in the storage areas - all carts, malfunctioning lights, bad steering, broken steering, no starting, etc. This to me shows they don't do regular maintenance and checking before the next rental the quality or malfunction of the carts. Out of a week's worth of rental - no apology and something like $15 back because we didn't receive what we had rented. Too bad for them.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf carts

Like TNY said..there's lots of companies and I agree with "Many people stay with one company out of loyalty but that doesn't mean other companies aren't equally good :)"

I've gone with Ciro's but used Pelicano's last trip...both were great. Another place I stopped at was Fiesta..bright red..big tires..they looked really good too. One place recommended to me was the place by Ixchel...Luxury Golf Carts.

Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf carts

I have rented from Prisma for 4 years now. No problems, we swing by every other day for more gas. I usually contact him through his website and reserve our cart. When we get there, it is always ready and we are on our way. Have also gotten the same price the last 4 years which in my opinion is a deal. Good luck

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf carts

I've always rented from Ciros and never had a problem. This past trip down I went over to Ciros and they didn't have any carts available so I grabbed one from Paulina's which is just across from the ferry terminal and got a great cart for the week. No problems and easy to get fuel. For my upcoming trip in December I decided I wanted to reserve and pay for the cart up front. I'll be getting my cart from Gomar which is next to Paulina's. The entire process of reserving the cart was a breeze and Jimbo at Isla Mujeres Cart Rentals was awesome to deal with. As I've not picked the cart up yet I can't comment on the quality and condition, but from speaking with Jimbo, I'm certain that if there's any problem, he will be on it in a heartbeat and have it resolved in no time.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf carts

We've always rented from Ciro's because of dependability and we love their large carts. Last year, our large cart from Ciro's was incredibly slow. This year, we initially got one of the smaller but stylin' Chevy carts, and it was slower still. Just as I was about to give up on Ciro's, I decided to see if they could exchange it for me and they did--on the spot. I drove off in a larger cart that had much more pickup.