We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunizations

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Immunizations

What immunizations should we get prior to traveling to Isla?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,830 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunizations

My doc recommended Hep A (endemic to the region) and confirmed that our tetanus shots were up to date.

That said, I would VERY strongly recommend you seek the advice of an appropriately qualified medical professional, rather than that of strangers on the internet.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunizations

The same you would get if traveling to Texas, Mississippi, or Florida.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunizations

Hep A vaccine is a good idea to have in the US and recommended for children..it has been around since the 90's. It is two shots ..at least six months apart..but protection begins with the first shot. You may have already had it. It lasts ~15 years. There is currently an outbreak of Hep A in the US western states that the CDC is following...believed to be from a manufactured food containing contaminated pomegranate seeds. There are about 25,000 REPORTED cases of Hep A in the US annually, tho that is considered much lower statistic that actual occurrence because Hep A is often a mild infection, and many folks don't seek treatment or are unaware.. It is considered endemic in Mexico.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunizations

Agree with wentCoastal, we have never had any "special" or out of the ordinary immunizations and we have been going to Isla for years.

(FYI,,,,,I am a retired RN as is wentCoastal)

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immunizations

I'm not a real doctor (I just play one on TV) but I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and I would recommend a cootie shot. There is always the chance that an cootie outbreak might erupt at any time in the Caribbean.

Mix tequila, speedos and some really bad dancing, and there you go.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immunizations

Never got any type of shot before going... Never had an issue....

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immunizations

We REALLY need a "Like" button on this forum. Fotodude, that gave me a good chuckle! Just what I needed for a Monday morning.

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Immunizations

Awesome response Fotodude!! I am scheduled to get Hep A and TDAP today.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immunizations

Glad I could make you smile! I'll be here all week (wish I were on Isla all week...)

And get those shots, people! On our last trip in July, my wife (Mrs. fotodude) cut her finger fairly badly on a wooden lounge at Playa la Media Luna (it was her own fault!), and according to the Isla hospital, she was lucky that she was up to date on her tetanus shot.

And get those cootie shots - avoid the heartbreak of cooties. Ask any elementary school aged boy for assistance.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Immunizations

A symptom of Hep A. You pee Coca Cola. Urine turns black. Before the vaccine was developed I caught Hep A in Baja from shrimp. At least you can only get it once. One of the major ways it is spread...buffets...especially salad bars. One infectious kitchen employee can spread it to many. Years ago there was a major outbreak in San Diego. It was traced to some restaurants with salad bars. Since it is a disease of the liver, if you get it you can't drink alcohol for at least 6 months.