We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming at night?

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming at night?

Whenever we are on Isla I have this desire to swim in the ocean at night.

My husband won't join me as he says the predatory fish are more active at night. This makes me a little nervous but I still want to swim. Though I would like to convince him that its perfectly safe. Opinions? Experience?

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming at night?

I don't know about the fish being more active, but I still wouldn't do it - its pretty hard to find someone in trouble in the water in the dark.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming at night?

Maybe safe. You need to contact certain tour guides who do this. They have lights, safeguards, etc. It's different and possibly need to have permits. etc. Not unheard of though, if this is a biggie with you.

There are a number of scuba operations that offer this.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 02:13
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming at night?

Actually, at night, many fish tend to decend to deeper water. The light of day attracts them to the surface. Swimming at night on a dark beach is dangerous as noted earlier. Get in trouble and no one knows.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming at night?

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150810-i360-

This is all I could really find on the subject, Personally, I would take a brief shallow swim in well protected waters (bays, etc.) but after that I don't know...it's not a pool...

Edited: 01 October 2013, 02:26
Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming at night?

I have gone into the water at night on Playa Norte and over by the bridge at Avalon. We only ever got about chest deep, but it was still awesome! :) Full moon, and the water was soooo clear! Only thing we ever saw were little fishies under the bridge. Nothing predatory at all! That being said...if someone posts something about a bad, or near death experience from swimming at night, I will probably freak out, and never do it again! :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming at night?

Good input - more needed , thanks.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming at night?

There are Isla experts and RM experts who know a lot about this kind of thing than me. We'll probably get more good info.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming at night?

A while ago, I read a great post about someone snorkeling at night by the Avalon bridge. They brought a special flashlight and would wake up the sleepy fish. Sounded awesome (except for the fish).

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming at night?

Opening scene of Jaws..need I say more? :) Seriously, I don't know if night is necessarily a time when predatory fish are most active, but I have seen enough of Shark Week to know that they are especially active at dusk.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming at night?

I've swam with a friend at Playa Norte and by Avalon at night. We stayed together and pretty close to shore. I loved it!