We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breast feeding law in Mexico?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Breast feeding law in Mexico?

Maybe some of you might know the law concerning breast feeding in public on IM?

I always do it discreetly here in Canada and never had an issue and the law protects me wherever I go but I'm not sure it's the same on IM?

I do not want to offend anyone while doing do, but my son doesn't take the bottle.

Thank you!

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

Paradisiaque,

I just did a little google and TA search for you to see what I could find. It was interesting. First, I would suggest you don't do the TA search because I couldn't not believe the ignorant and offensive comments people made about breastfeeding in public. Just ridiculous.

Second, I could find nothing about Mexican laws either protecting women's rights to breastfeed or prohibiting public breastfeeding. Surprisingly, what I read is that Mexico is a culture where there are public health campaigns to promote breastfeeding because it is not as common as might be expected, even though so many women live in poverty and without access to safe water.

My suggestion is that you proceed as you would at home. Your baby needs to eat and stay hydrated and that is the bottom line. Especially in a foreign country and in one in which the water supply is not so good, breast milk is, of course, what you want to give him. You should not have to go running back to your room every time he wants to nurse. Resorts have no issues with topless women on the beach. A breastfeeding woman on the beach or at the pool should hardly be an issue, especially if you are being discreet. If anyone gives you any problems or dirty looks---about feeding your child (seriously!)-- that is what resort staff is there to help you with.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

I breast fed both of my babies in Mexico, just do as you do at home, it will not be a problem.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

You can breast feed in public. When we stayed at the Grand Veles there was a lot of breast feeding around the pool and nothing was said and was very acceptable...

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

I've seen it on the beaches and public transportation in Mexico. It's considered very natural and accepted.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

Good for you Mom - I have seen many women - both locals and visitors nursing there babies - enjoy your vacation! :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

*Phiew*

Thank you all for your replies! I googled it but couldn't find any info.

I'm sure Mexicans won't be offended - I was more afraid of tourists being offended.

I also read a thread about Tiffany mentioning locals whipping out their breasts on motorcycles, on the streets or at grocery stores to breastfeed their babies. Thought that was funny!

ObamaCountry: I agree with everything you said, I just don't understand how a lot of people find it offensive when it is the most natural thing to do and our ancestors have been doing it for decades!

Thank you for your encouragement, I needed confirmation that I could breastfeed my son before attacking anyone who had a problem with me doing so :)

12 more days to go and we get to enjoy IM again for a whole 14 days!!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

Tiffany is right. On my last trip, I saw a woman shirt half-opened, breastfeeding while riding a golf cart. At least she wasn't driving I guess! ;)

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

<Thank you for your encouragement, I needed confirmation that I could breastfeed my son before attacking anyone who had a problem with me doing so :)>

Paradisiaque, love how your Mama Bear came out :-). And you started off so Canada-nice and not wanting to offend and all ;-).

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

When I need to feed my baby, I didn't care who got offended ;) I think the only person whoever was, was my MIL!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breast feeding law in Mexico?

Some people's table manners are a lot more offensive, IMO. ;)