We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agenda for single day

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Agenda for single day

Weather permitting, we intend to hop over to the Island, using the 9am ferry out of Playa Tortuga on Friday 11/1. We'll rent our cart 1st thing. Here is our agenda for the day with a few remaining questions that I have.

Appreciate the advise & suggestions. We'll be traveling with my stepdaughter who is 3 months pregnant so we are trying to blend a mix of island scenery, snorkeling and beach/drinking/relaxing.

9:30ish - Head to Garrafon de Castilla and spend an hour or two

11:30ish - Stop at Punta Sur for about an hour

Drive back to North side and eat lunch somewhere (Jax, Chi-chitas Snack Bar, Caribbean Queen or Sunset Grill).

2 & 5 - Spend time on Playa Norte (get some loungers, perhaps a massage, have a few cocktails)

My questions are:

1. Once we pick up the cart - do we use Av Rueda Medina all the way to South end of the Island. All the maps I have printed look like it, but wanted to double check.

2. Once we leave Punta Sur, is there a different route (street) back to the North side that would give us a different 'view' than we had on our way to the South end? If so, can someone provide me the street name.

3. If my family is hanging out around Chi-chitas (end of the North side) and I wanted to walk up the beach towards the Avalon and snorkel to the 'right of the bridge' where I've read may have some fish, can I walk that or do I need to take the cart and find parking over towards Fenix? I've got a ton of maps printed, buts its very hard to gage the distance since this is my 1st trip over to the island.

4. Can't find too much info on Caribbean Queen Beach club. Why is that? I read its next to PA but can't find much else on TA or the internet to know if its a hotel or just a snack bar/bar. Any additional info that can be shared would be helpful.

5. Lastly, I know my cart will come w/a lock and its all street parking. What do you typcially wrap the lock around? I've used google maps over the last few days and viewed 'street views' around PA, Jax, Ixchel & Nautibeach and I can't seem to locate what folks are using to lock up their carts. There aren't too many street lamp posts or sign signs so what do folks use to secure it?

We'll be there for Day of the Dead - I'm looking forward to see their traditions and how they celebrate the life of loved ones past. Thanks - Jenn

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agenda for single day

I think that’s a great plan!

1. Yes. YOu can take Medina all the way to Hacienda Mundaca..the road curves to the right..then take a left and head south.

2. I think it's called Obispo but I call it the eastern coast road. When you come out of Punta Sur..take a right to head to the eastern coast road.

3. You can walk or golf cart (faster) and park on the road at Fenix.

4. Don’t know anything about the Caribbean Queen. I like Sunset Grill.

5. I thread the lock through the frame of the golf cart to the steering wheel.

Have fun!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agenda for single day

You can drive down the bay side to the south of the island and return via the Caribbean side...2 totally different experiences!

I have never been to garrafon de Castilla but if do love Captain Dulche's which is close. Plus they have exceptionally clean bathrooms! Great food and service.

Now this is just me, but if I were on Isla for only one day I would not go to Jax, I'd look for something I can't get anywhere else.....check out the little loncherias or one of the places on the water by the ferry, Bally Hoo is my fave but others have their fans as well.

As far as Playa Norte goes, I'd walk along and see what appeals to you,who will give you a deal, etc. it's not like there are special entrances or fences for each each club, they sort of blend along the beach. you don't have to decide before you go at all. The whole stretch is easily walk able, so you can settle in one place and walk from one end to the other very quickly and easily. Most spots have chair service, but bathrooms can be sketchy.

To lock a golf cart take the cable lock they give you and wind it through the steering wheel and the post holding ip the roof of the cart, easy to do.

Enjoy your day on Isla!! I bet you won't want to leave!

canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agenda for single day

We spent a day at the Caribbean Queen beach club and had total sticker shock on our food and drink bill, not sure what happened as we did not order any differently than any other day at any other beach club but it was easily a $70 tab for two of us! We had never been even close to that amount at any of the other beach clubs and as a result did not return during our 3 week stay.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agenda for single day

So here's my $.02.

I like your plan but I would swap out Punta sur and Garrafon de Castilla. This is just me, but I really like to pick up a cart and travel down along the east side of the island, it's a really neat view. You come to Punta Sur first that way and It's a good first stop to have a drink and look around. All that walking makes you hot and sweaty, which transitions perfectly into snorkeling at GdC.

Then it's nice to keep going in a loop around the island towards north beach on the west side. I'd also agree with BethNBob and say try Bally Hoo for lunch over Jax. Jax is fine, but for only one meal, Bally Hoo is about as good as you can get.

I cant comment on the beach clubs, as we usually stay at PA and just use theirs.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agenda for single day

I agree with the poster above regarding Jax. I like Jax, but I liken it to an American sports bar with a Mexican wait staff. The fish tacos, fish and chips, and burgers are good. However, I too would rather sit on the water at the fishing dock at Bally Hoo, Picus or one of the other locally owned places if I were there for just the day. We are there three weeks and stay just behind Jax, so we do frequent it when for just a brief time we miss the cuisine we might have at home.

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
117 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agenda for single day

Thank you all and especially to NashtyP - that suggestion about switching to Punta Sur first makes so much sense! A small detail, but one I hadn't even thought of. Might be much better to hit that at 9:30 instead of lunchtime when the sun is getting much warmer.

I know the carts don't go above a certain speed, so about how much time to you estimate it takes to drive from the South end to North end?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agenda for single day

Well, factoring in stopping for iguanas, photo ops, and possible snacks/beers...I'd say 20 or 30 minutes!!

kansas city
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Agenda for single day

I like the beach beds at Buhos. They are just East of Tarzans about mid-beach on Playa Norte. The beds are 200 pesos and are comfortable and covered. You can gets drinks and food there also. Just grab one and someone will be by soon to collect money for it. They are big enough for 2,3 or 4 people.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agenda for single day

Like NashtyP, I also like to head south on the Caribbean side because I can never wait to have that view. Once I round the corner by the air strip and start heading south I get goosebumps. Just be sure not to miss the left hand turn just after Casa Ixchel to be sure you're on the outer road.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
374 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agenda for single day

Don't forget to go to the turtle farm!