We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You all were right (mini report)

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harpswell, Maine
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
You all were right (mini report)

I'm on the bus leaving Logan airport back to Maine, after spending 9 days in Mexico. I spent most of the time in the mountains of Chiapas (which I cannot say enough about, especially if you are interested in contemporary Mayan culture and colonial towns - go there). But since I flew in via Cancun, I decided to spend Oct 14 and Oct 22 on Isla. I stayed at Jim and Lori's Casa Azul, which was perfect for me in terms of location because I love being in neighborhood settings rather than a more isolated hotel (I did a homestay in Chiapas).

Well suffice to say, that was just NOT enough time on Isla. I have already booked a week in April to go back! And I'll take my husband this time. Hah. Especially since my vivaaerobus flight leaving Chiapas to Cancun/isla was SIX hours late (I know, never again). That basically evaporated the last day on Isla, but I did get to have breakfast at mango cafe before leaving this morning.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You all were right (mini report)

I glad to hear you enjoyed Isla and it's no surprise you're ready to head back. Isla tends to have that effect on most of us. Welcome to the ever growing club of Islaholics.

nikkid37
Level Contributor
354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You all were right (mini report)

Yep another one knows what we all have discovered. The magic of Isla!

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You all were right (mini report)

We told ya...

;)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You all were right (mini report)

You just can't help it..... It just grabs ya, in a good way!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You all were right (mini report)

Been there, done that...so know how you feel about Isla.

It sounds like you had a fabulous trip.

Manitoba Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You all were right (mini report)

Yep, you're turning.....you will quickly be an islaholic!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You all were right (mini report)

And another Islaholic is born. Glad you had a good time. Can't wait to see Chiapas myself.

Harpswell, Maine
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You all were right (mini report)

DMartin, I can't recommend Chiapas highly enough! This was my second trip there. Please book a personal tour with Alex Aranda of Cielo y Tierra. I know, I know...tours aren't for everyone, myself included...but Alex is truly exceptional and while you can go alone to any of the surrounding Mayan towns in the highlands, you won't have true access without him. There's so many layers of cultural, religious, and sociological things going on there that would be hard to grasp without Alex's interpretation and relationships with people in the towns. He's amazing. Best money I spent there.

Anyway, back to Isla... don't be too scared everyone, I talked with a huge group of folks in the Cancun airport returning from an AI week, and they had no idea Isla (or any islands off the coast) even existed. :)

What an amazing place! Forgot to say that I had lunch at the fishing coop when I first got there, then spent the evening swimming at the beach, walking that pedestrian path along the Caribbean side, then wandering around the colonias (a little lost, but in a good way) before returning to Casa Azul. My last day there was so severely shortened due to the vivaaerobus mishap in Tuxtla that I didn't get to do much but grab tacos and hang out with the folks on the roof of Casa Azul. I woke up early for a little walk, and then the yogurt, coffee, and tamarind drink breakfast at Mango Cafe before catching a cab to the ferry dock. I can't wait to go back! I love the mix of the climate/locale plus the setting of a nice Mexican town. I loved watching all the kids in school uniform being taken to school this morning by their parents via cart and moped. What a lovely place. Hooray for April 2014!

Edited: 24 October 2013, 05:56
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You all were right (mini report)

And another one "gets it" after a short visit.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,671 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You all were right (mini report)

So glad you liked Isla. Not to side track your report but did you get to see Palenque while in Chiapas?