We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

The Reef Club and Baccara in Cancun have been sold to a Mexico Company. Can't get their name but the resort is now called MIA Reef Isla Mujeres. Changes that affect us, the owners, that I have been informed off are: No more free drinks from 9-5, period, that's gone. The resort is completely smoke free, no smoking anywhere not even on our balcony. Transfers to the airport are now $30. They also plan on making the resort completely all-inclusive. For those who did not purchase that option (like us) they MAY still honor us as pay as we go. We better check our contracts because who knows what else is coming. The bridge to the resort has been repaired. The pool is completely torn out and they are expanding it and will do the same to the pool side restaurant. Photos of completion are gorgeous. I have no idea of the completion date. =^••^=

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
2,549 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,747 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

Thank you for the information. Do you know if aside from the pool they're also renovating the villas and the rooms in the main building?

Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

We were told that the villas may be renovated fall of 2014 and the towers the year after that. But keep in mind that everything is done by hand because of the small bridge. So it will take time and they may only be telling us what they want to. And things do change. I too would love to see my one bedroom villa renovated. But I worry more about what I may lose as an owner.

new york
Level Contributor
20,747 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

Yes, I can certainly understand that as an owner you would have very different concerns. So I hope everything will work out for you and the changes will be for the better. Being forced to take AI when that's not what you originally signed up for would not make me happy either.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

Thanks for the update, new it was coming. I hope the owners can get all of the answers they need.

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

As owners, we have known for a long time that something major needed to change. Every year we went since Mike Kelly left, it got worse with each passing year. So, as owners, we look forward to a much improved experience and facility. On the other hand, the communication to owners is horrible! I found out about this ownership change on Facebook! All owners should receive a letter with what's going on and what we can expect going forward. Very frustrating. Will look forward to updates from what people are hearing and will also contact Mia Reef to see what I can find out. I think all owners should inundate them with inquiries.

Mentioned in this post
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
2,549 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

I agree that all owners should have been contacted. We were not aware of the changes until we arrived-even tho we had emailed requests 2 weeks prior. Heard about the bridge repair and pool from a previous post by someone who had seen the repairs going on. I had to correct my posts because they were incorrect until I got on site. In addition to the changes I listed above- outside food and drink will no longer be allowed to be brought on site. So we will have a kitchen but not be able to use it? Makes no sense. We have been bringing in whatever we want as always but I believe in the near future that will be stopped. I will continue to post any info that I receive. =^••^=

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

Thank you for the updates...much appreciated. I have been trying to get in contact with Member Services at Avalon Reef/Mia Reef and have been given the run-around. I keep getting phone numbers, but when I call those numbers, they tell me they are not the correct number. Since you have talked with Member Services there, can you please ask them what the phone number is from the USA that we are to call for answers regarding our ownership/membership. Yes, we have always brought in food and drinks from restaurants and the grocery store. I hope that's not true that we can't bring in food--I've never heard of such a thing!

Thank you again. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
2,549 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

when you say owners,does that mean you bought the unit in total/or was it a time share

if it is timeshare, you do not own anything and the units can be sold to new companies at any time and they make the new rules

Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

I do not have the phone # for calling from the US. But I do have the following:

Omar Martinez Ibarra, is the Member Services Supervisor. His email is:

atencionasocios@hotelesmia.com

Mexico phone# +52 998-999-2050 ext. 1530

And as per the members sheet with the new Mia logo-"Outside Drinks and Food are not allowed at the Hotel premises." =^••^=

Saginaw, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATTN- Avalon Reef Club Members (owners)

Thank you!!

We are members (we purchased a time share ~10 years ago).