We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

I understand that there is a $3 charge to snorkle here. Is the snorkling good, i.e. lots of fish, color ect? With the park still closed, can I swim in to the areas that the park has for snorkling? Are there changing rooms,bathrooms ect. available at the hotel with this $3 charge or is that just for access to the beach? Any info I can get about snorkling here would be very much apprieciated!

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

I was thinking about going there also, but found out the reef is dead. I heard that there is a better place up north of the island, but I think you need a boat to reach it.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

We were just there in January and the snorkling was great. In fact, now that the Garrafon Park is closed you can snorkle in that area. We go twice a year and thought there were noticably more fish since the Garrafon Park closed -- probably due to less people. There are changing rooms, bathrooms, a bar (great cheap food and drinks), loungers, etc.... We also usually stay at the hotel a few days while in Isla -- reasonable rates and snorkling right out your front door.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

We are making our 1st trip to Cancun this November. Never heard of Isla Mujeres until visiting the Cancun tripadvisor forum. We hope to go over early in our 10 day stay so that we can return if we really love it. We usually like smaller less touristy areas, but price for Cancun was so much lower than where we usually vacation (Kona, Ha.) that we decided to give it a try. We are going mainly for the beaches and not the party scene. Maybe next time we will go straight to IM and spend all our vacation there!! I guess we'll see come November. Thanks to all on these forums. We've gotten so much information. Plan to get mapchicks Cancun map and maybe the IM one. Any one think that the IM map is nessessary if we are only going to be there for the day? Or maybe 2 :)-

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

Garrafon Park is supposed to have reopened. Will this change things for snorkling at the hotel? Also, if the reef is 'dead' what does that mean for the snorkling? Anyone been lately?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

Ryansmom-Any problems or slight setbacks at Garrafon Hotel. It sounds like a day or two would be nice. Thanks!

Colo
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

Wazzu - get the IM map... gives a great driving tour. Rent a golf cart for the day and go for it - exploring the island on your own is the way to go. Trust me, you'll never return to Cancun (we started the same way!)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

What do you think the chances are of renting a night or two here 1st of Dec as a walk in? Construction issues and the advantage of the time of year has me guessing. I don't want to take any chances on this leg (or any leg) of this trip. Thank you! Rm ,thank you again for being so helpful.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

I think it might work as a walk in the first part of Dec., but I wouldn't chance it. I would request the 3rd floor -- neat domed ceiling and great views. I would say the best on the island. I hear the Garrafon Park re-opened which is unfortunate.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

Yes...and boy did it reopen...with a hefty $50 usd PER PERSON admission price...all inclusive of course! Still the best bet is the Garrafon de Castilla Hotel next door...snorkeling is great, cheap and easy access.

Another great reef for snorkeling is El Farito...it is a nice reef about 10 ft...tranquil water, good visibility and lot of fish. Keep in mind it IS a protected Reef park, so you must wear a life jacket and have the admission bracelet on while you are there...the SEMARNAT patrols are very diligent since the hurricanes of last year patroling the area.

St. Croix
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkling at the Garrafon Hotel questions

I agree with Aqua - we went to Garrafon through the hotel - which was $40 pesos to enter now... there are lots of fish, a snack bar, beach chairs, lockers were an additional $20 pesos. once you are in the water, it's the same as the more expensive Garrafon park next door.

they have docks out in the middle of the swimming area so you can take a break - or jump off the high platform.

The staff was really friendly too.

also - about what she said with the bracelets - it's true! we went to the reef off Garaffon with Captain Tony and he didn't get us the bracelets, so we got kicked out.

We Snorkeled in El Farito too - out of the 3 major places to go (Contoy and Garrafon being the others) We thought El Farito was the best by far.