We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Part B

Wednesday woke to heavy rain – of course our beach towels on the balcony were drenched as well as my almost dry water shoes – put them in second bedroom with ceiling fan and that worked great. Sure glad we’d packed our ponchos (really pretty substantial rain coats – if you saw us mine was blue, dh’s black). Stopped in at Barlito’s to drop off childrens books – Tiffany was most appreciative and even later wrote me a very nice email thanking me again. We saved her place for later in the week as we were craving cazuelas so off to M & J’s which did not disappoint – place was full also. Went to Covi’s for wine and they’ve changed hands and rearranged things. Only had in stock the small bottles of Sav B Reservado : $95pesos for two – and they’re so cute! The larger size would have been $78 pesos which was still a lot less than on Akumal.

Hung out on the balcony reading; Wifi at Nautibeach was very spotty the entire time – we weren’t the only ones “complaining” about it. Schlepped over to Sunset Grill for lunch at some point in the afternoon for a salad for dh, wrap sandwich for me and watched the stormy waves and grey skies – kind of cool to have an uninterrupted view of the sea with no peeps or boats…honestly I’d rather have had sun but what can you do? Counted about 20 mosquito bites on me from Akumal – well, I had to do something to entertain myself!

So happy to be here but hoping the rain will stop. Went to Fredy’s that night for shrimp and grouper. There was some weird taste to my shrimp – like tarragon or something – kind of disappointed but love him! Then we went to the Rock Bar for a few tunes and drinks. Same nice female running the place but different dude with her! She said her former partner didn’t like it there and hooked up with some other woman and went back to Italy and she and this nice guy became partners, everyone got married and everyones much happier now! Last time we were there was Oct. 2012 and this all happened within the year. So we had a good old time listening to Hawkwind (which no one has ever heard of but we were able to get it on Utube) and chatting with them. Very nice folks and cute place!

We picked up our laundry and when we got back I discovered two items missing. Was at first just noticing a tank top but then realized my travelling pants were also missing. We at first attempted to google the translation of what to say when we went back next morning but then stopped in at our front desk to see if they would phone them for us. They did but the number was disconnected so they wrote out for us exactly what was what and off we go to “complain”. Dude didn’t speak any English and seemed to really not know what to tell us but finally said (in English) “come back in 2 hours”.

Went to Rooster’s for breakfast and finally got some fresh fruit! I really love the Rooster; we always get consistently good service and delicious food. I had scrambled eggs and bacon and dh had pancakes and eggs – a lot to eat and all good. Nice place and very close for walking.

We hung around all day watching the rain and later went to Jax for a bite just to get moving some. Went back to laundry around 3 and first woman we showed the note to was unsure but she yelled to another woman in the back who came out and brought me my missing clothes! I was so happy!

To be continued

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,568 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Love both parts of your trip report. Hope you managed to find a good shrimp dinner during your stay :) I'm going to add it to our Trip Reports top question but unfortunately there's a technical issue about editing. I wrote to support and they're looking into it so as soon as they fix the problem it'll be added.

Looking forward to the remaining parts!

USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Thanks TNY - you're the best!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

I love part 2 also! I remember the thread on here before asking about your missing pants- you had a great sense of humor about it all; glad you found them!

O.K. - as mentioned before- I really need your packing skills! I'm even more impressed you also fit the books in there,too. And how wonderful you donated to such a worthy cause :)

Interesting story about Rock Bar- I know of a similar thing that happened to someone. Strange how things can work that way and everyone is happier in the end :)

Off to read part C !

USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

I use those plastic packing "envelopes" that you squeeze the air out of - 2 large ones. Since we have our laundry done (with fingers crossed from now on, wink wink) mid-trip, one doesn't have to bring as much. I plan to pare down even more...one cover-up instead of two; two bathing suits instead of 3; I keep trying. As it is, I confess I do have to hurl myself on my suitcase to zip it up and pray I don't have to unzip it at the airport - you know you don't really have to show your quart bag of toiletries....they've never challenged me....it's so much fun to think about it all, isn't it? Glad you got a kick out of reading my reports; I do think one owes it to the readers to try to be entertaining as well as informative....they are fun to write.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
480 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Great packing tips! Thanks :)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

That is interesting about the quart bag. There always seems to be a TSA agent there telling everyone that it must be put in one of those trays....

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,568 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

I just do it so automatically I don't even think about it. Don't you have to do it anymore or does that vary with airlines/airports?

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Packing tip - instead of folding your pants etc, roll them. That way you can fit more into the suitcase. As far as the zip locks I think that varies according to the airport and the TSA agent. One year in Cancun they didn't ask for anything, last year you would have thought this 68 year old grey haired grandmother was a terrorist. Go figure.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

Loved the first two installments I've been craving a trip report and this did the trick nicely. I'm down under two weeks until I head to Isla and you know how slowly those last weeks move... Hopefully the rain let up before the end of the trip and you got to enjoy some of that great Isla sun.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/17/13 Part B

TNY...I do it automatically, too. I flew out if Charleston, SC a couple weeks ago and the TSA agent was chanting that at the beginning of the line.