We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

USA
Level Contributor
873 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

So second day of rain and getting kind of bummed – just hung out and read and such. Went to dinner at Sunset Grill and had some yummy Aztec chicken soup; dh had shrimp cocktail. We sat at the bar and had a pretty good crowd; guess people coming over from Ixchel maybe.

Finally see the sun on Friday AM and went to Barlito’s for breakfast. Had the best toasted cheddar bagel with just a schmear of cream cheese – perfection! Dh had a sesame bagel and eggs – a big portion. We chatted with Tifany a little and eaves-dropped on the conversation next to us – two women who either live on Isla or are staying for an extended period. We walked the malecon and passed Steven’s – saw Bev but did not stop as she was busy. Went to the beach from 10 to 2 when it started clouding up again. Water is delightful – I just love Playa Norte with the “never gets hot” soft white sand.

Enjoyed Los Fueguitos for dinner – we both had steaks – only ones there till almost done and another couple came and sat right in the doorway table – prime spot – what a lovely view of the water! Bill came to $1,000 pesos with 2 wines, 2 gins, 2 steaks and brownie with vanilla ice cream that we split. You get a small salad on the plate with your steak and some white and sweet potatoes.

Saturday we hit the beach at 8:30 and didn’t budge till 3:30. ‘Course we’re under the umbrella and have sunscreen on so we were fine. Romy’s was chained closed last night but only one couple at the bar; not sure what was up with that.

Because we were so desperate to be on the beach, we never did rent a golf cart or venture south. This felt sort of strange but every trips different. This was #8 and we already booked air for May cause I happen to check and found a really low fare so what the hey!

Brisas on the water for dinner and we split a nice New Zealand Sav Bl that we are familiar (Noblio – sp?) with (but can’t spell) and both had grouper. I don’t know what it is with me but I really didn’t have a bunch of stellar meals this trip – dh’s baked potato was cold (!) and the fish was just ok but not amazing – and there weren’t a lot of customers there but anyway – it wasn’t that bad and I do love the setting – we ate on the sand – bugs were not bothering me on Isla.

Then we stopped in at Bobo’s cause Brian is just so congenial and I feel very comfortable there. Wound up getting an order of fries – wish we’d eaten there instead. No other customers, had a nice chat, bartender very good.

Oh, funny – dh chatted in the water Saturday with a couple also staying at Nautibeach from Vancouver. They had just come from Akumal and saw the same wedding on the beach (see my trip report on that forum) that we did!

So we grabbed another breakfast at Rooster’s on leaving day and almost got caught in the rain – but it was a passing shower and we made it to the 10:30 ferry, sat inside with sad faces!

When we started standing in line at United at CUN, a worker looked at our e-tickets and sent us over to another booth across the way where there was no line! Guy upgraded us to the roomier leg room seats which are also closer to the front of the plane – bonus! Plane was full, naturally. About 60 degrees in Newark so no worries wearing my light clothes and yes, my flip flops – home safe – kitties fine.

It felt like a really long trip (8 days) because of switching between two spots, we think, and the rain is a distant memory, replaced with the beach, the sun, the sea, the smell and the soft sweet air. I love Isla; I’m going back.

Mentioned in this post
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
397 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,495 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Barlito
Barlito
1,160 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,406 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Rosa Sirena's Restaurant
££ - £££, Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood
North Garden
£, Mexican, Caribbean, Contemporary
Mango Cafe Isla
££ - £££, Mexican, Caribbean, Latin
new york
Level Contributor
20,776 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Isn't it funny how when restaurants aren't busy the food can often be just meh? You would think that's when it's best, when they're not rushed. Glad you got in some sun and beach time in between all that rain. And I enjoyed your Akumal report also. Thank you :)

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Enjoyed your reports. Even though you had some rain days it sound like you had a good vacation.

We arrive on Isla in 8 days for 3 weeks. Reading your reports just make us that more excited!

Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed all your trip reports. I agree with MarkFromAlaska "reading your reports just make us that more excited". We arrive on Isla in 92 days.

Edited: 24 November 2013, 19:35
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
516 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Wonderful reports :) I'm glad you finally got some sunshine and I wouldn't have left the beach either! Love that you already have tickets for May ;)

I can only imagine how sad we'll be when having to leave. Nice little bonus you got the upgrade for your flight home to make it a little easier (hopefully:)

Thanks again for reporting- these TR's help me during my countdown ( I refuse to put how many days in writing. It's bad enough that I did one of those countdown clocks on the web! My husband said 'You shouldn't have done that. It's like looking at the amortization chart for the mortgage: just too depressing!) However, I will keep gathering all the info I can :)

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Wow an upgrade! Usually they might have one seat but to get 2, that's awesome. Thanks so much for posting. Interesting about the food. We've even found that returning to the same restaurant. One time, fabulous, the next okay but definitely not the same,

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Nice reports...we get to Isla Sunday...can't wait!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Just went over and read the Akumal reports befre reading the last installment of the isla reports and all were great. Despite the rains it sound like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing and helping me get through these last 13 days before I get my turn on Isla.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

Thanks for sharing your time on Isla. We always visit in slow season and remind ourselves that we are not seeing the restaurants at their best--many have reduced staffs and menus, if they are open at all.

As for Los Fueguitos, yumm. I mentioned recently on another thread that if I could have only one more meal on Isla, my choice is Bally Hoo. Michele said her choice was easy. I assumed she meant Lolo Lorena but no, she chose Los Fueguitos. So after one meal it has become her favorite dining spot on the island. Great view, great steak and a very accommodating staff.

Mentioned in this post
Lolo Lorena
Lolo Lorena
698 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
9. Re: Trip Report 11/12/13 - 11/12/17 Part C

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:18