We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lion fish tasting event Friday

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
669 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lion fish tasting event Friday

December 6th on the town square (time not yet announced) an event is planned called the “1º Muestra Gastronómica” de pez león. There was a meeting yesterday of officials, restauranteurs, fishermen, chefs, etc. They are training the fishermen about capturing and processing the fish. Officials discussed preparation and marketing, its safety for human consumption, and its negative impact on the local ecology and economy. (It eats lobster, grouper, etc and lacks predators.)

Source Diario de Quintana Roo..it's in today's Por Esto also & I'm translating it for the News blog.

dqr.com.mx/index.php/isla-mujeres/77916-impu…

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

Save the reef! Eat mor lionfish!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

Anything that can be done to help eradicate them from the waters of the Caribbean should be considered. I read recently a divemaster in Cozumel speared 54 lionfish on one dive. With no natural predators, right now, human harvesting of this invasive species is the only hope.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

Totally safe to eat. Catching them without getting whacked by the spines takes training..and some armored gloves. I've read a lot of reviews of lionfish meals. It's equated to other high end fish. Firm, white, meaty flesh. In Florida it brings a high price to fishermen. Increase the popularity and demand and fishermen throughout the area will benefit.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

I saw a good sized lion fish while snorkeling at the Avalon last week. It was close to the rocks where the surf hits. I was surprised to see one there.

Definitely going to the tasting event. These fish are going to take over if we don't do something about it.

Edited: 29 November 2013, 20:57
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

Unfortunately, they already have! Need focused spear fishing!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

Unfortunately I fear the Lionfish are here to stay. In a recent NOAA study it was said

"In order to even maintain current lionfish population densities, at least 27% of the invasive adult populations would have to be killed monthly. The fact that lionfish are able to reproduce monthly throughout the entire year means that this is an effort that must be maintained monthly for the maintenance of current population densities"

Trying to remove 27% of the current population in the wild each month is a monumental task and the manpower for such a initiative does not currently exist.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

That is very sad to hear, Rick.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

Can't give up! I'm rather disappointed that the ICRI hasn't been more proactive in organizing grid pattern eradication to at least slow the current growth of populations. I for one would be happy to volunteer a couple days of my vaca for such an endeavor.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

DLPinMD,

I agree we should not give up the fight against this invader and I also would donate several days to diving and removing the Lionfish. The saddest part of the story is there was a time period back in the early 90's when control and possible elimination was within our grasp, but due to a number of factors no action was taken and now they have spread all throughout the Caribbean.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
669 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lion fish tasting event Friday

This just in via FB municipal site...Muestra gastronómica Pez León. 2:00 p.m. Explanada Municipal. The Lion Fish Tasting today is scheduled for 2pm on the Town Square ...Friday Dec 6th

Edited: 06 December 2013, 14:47