We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions related to travel and toddlers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
207 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions related to travel and toddlers

Hi

We are going to Isla Mujeres (our 2nd trip) for Christmas and I was wondering how much $ people give to the guys that stand by the ferry and take you suitcases to the hotel (in our case Na Balam)?

Second do anyone know if the cabs in the island have both a lap and shoulder belt. I am considered getting a device to strap our girls in so we can see a little of the island but it requires both lap and seat belt. Golf carts is not a possibility because we have 2 x 2.5 year olds and I am worried they will fall out of a golf cart so taxi is our only option.

Thanks!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

To Na Balam I would give them at least 20 dollars. It sounds like you're planning on having the bicycle cabs take your luggage? It's quite a long walk to your hotel with two toddlers. I would definitely take a cab. I don't recall what kind of belts they have; besides, it probably varies with the cab.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

I don't think seat belt usage is a priority on Isla. I agree with traveler, it will vary from cab to cab.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

Some of the new cabs have seatbelts, but I doubt you will have room for them with belts and 2 adults. They are very small cars. Room for 2 adults in back, barely.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
207 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

Thanks all. We walked from the ferry to Na Balam last time. We bring umbrella strollers so it is fine. Sad to hear about the cabs. I guess we are "stuck" with the beach and Downtown :-)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

What??? You mean you have a problem holding one in each arm while riding behind your husband on a scooter??? Jeeeesh, I see it everyday!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

We just came home with our 1 year old. For the golf cart I used our Ergo and strapped her in. I was scared the entire time!!!! I saw so many moms on the mopeds with their kids dangling off!

As far as cabs,as other posters have said, seatbelts are here and there. I would stick to downtown. Good luck!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
535 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

I have not seen a taxi with shoulder belts in the back seat. We have a 3.5 year old, same issues. We did take her on a golf cart between us. If you had a 4 person cart and one adult drove with kid beside them and the other adult had a kid in the back seat beside them, it could work. There is a great playground mid-island, called Tortuga Park. It is gated and only opens in the late afternoon (4ish) but is lighted and open at night.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

I would suggest $3 or $5 dollars per parcel for the Maletarios (bike guys).

Most taxis do not have seat belts. We drive on our golf cart with one child in between us & one on my lap while my husband drives. It has worked well for us for their entire lives. They are now 5 & 8 years old.

Do bring lots of sunscreen, it is ridiculously expensive. Hats are a good idea too.

Enjoy your time on the Island!

9. Re: A few questions related to travel and toddlers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:19