We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We are having a hard time booking something (cost friendly) for the whole week we are planning on coming. Has anyone stayed at a couple of different places during a week stay? Thought it might be kind of neat, changing up different experiences and locations.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

I've done split stays before (both in Mexico and elsewhere) but usually only if I'm staying 10 days or longer. I find all that packing/unpacking and getting settled in over and over again to be a bit of a pain, to say nothing of the inconvenience of having to be out of one place by noon or 1pm but not getting into my next room until 3pm. I pretty much feel like I've "lost" a vacation day to moving each time I do it.

If cost is your motivating factor, then it may well be worth the upheaval but for a week, I would be tempted to pony up the dough and stay put; I definitely wouldn't stay more than two places in that short a time period.

Of course, YMMV - some people LOVE moving around all the time!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We have split our time between Color de Verano and Casa Sirena, but we are on the island for three weeks and don't mind the change of scenery. Two totally different places, both lovely. Both of those places stored our bags until check in time - we went to the beach!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

I do and find no inconvenience. But I'm a light traveler, that is the key.... I lock up my bag, bring it to the next place for storage and go to a beach club for the day. There were times I could check in right away too.

If you are the kind who fully unpacks and settles in a place, or that brings lots of stuff, don't do it.

I actually purposely do that. I once booked a 9 day stay in a place in Isla that I really wasn't enjoying and ended up losing money leaving early. Since then, my MO is to never book more than 3-4 days in the same place (unless I have been there before and loved it).

Edited: 17 December 2013, 12:53
Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

Since we have been to Isla a few times and realize what we actually wear/use (bathing suits :) ) all the time, we have gotten pretty good at packing light. We have also found we pretty much live out of our suitcase, we never waste the time to unpack really. I think we are going to go for it. We fell in love with Isla about 5 years ago and have stayed at the same place each time, we think it would be cool to stay in a couple of different areas. We also rent a golf cart for our entire time, just like being able to take a drive, go get a drink and snacks anytime we want or just explore when the mood strikes us. I will let you guys know what happens! Thanks for the input!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
840 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We did a split stay last time. We were basically living out of our suitcases since we didn't want to unpack only to have to pack up again in a few days. We vowed no more split stays. Maybe if I was staying for several weeks but never again for a week

boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We do this all the time. We pack 4 days worth of clothes and drop them at the laundry on moving day, Arrive at new place with clean clothes.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We always split stays of 2 weeks or more. We learned to pack accordingly a long time ago, so it is pretty easy. It works great especially if we insert a 1-2 nights in Chichen Itza area or Tulum or Isla in between the resorts. Always works for us since staying in one spot for 2 weeks gets repetitive and dull.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We ALWAYS stay at 2-3 places. We typically start at are more economical place and end at a more luxurious place. Keep costs down, helps us afford nice places, and gives us an opportunity to try new places.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

I stayed at Posada del Mar (new building) 3 nights in May then moved in with my friend who got a deal at Villa Rolandi for the last night. I never unpack unless I am staying one place for a week or more.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone stay at a couple of different hotel during a week?

We like to move locales 2 or 3 times in a 7-12 day stay. Like fotodude, we like to start out cheap/rustic then get increasingly luxurious and end with a few days at an all inclusive. Depends on your likes and dislikes of course, but we love travelling this way. We like the variety, and it feels like a longer trip to us divided into different sections like that. Past trips on the Caribbean side have been Vallodolid/Izamal/Akumal/Playa, Merida/Isla Mujeres/Akumal/Playa. We're planning to do something similar this March.