We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
347 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

If you had to choose between the 2 tours and were travelling with a group age 9-66, which would you prefer & why?

I'm having a really hard time deciding. We do not want a 12 hour tour but we do want to experience the ruins.

or other suggestions?

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
328 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

Chichen Itza, no question. That is something you have to see if given the opportunity. Additionally, the walk to the Coba ruins is very long, much longer than Chichen Itza. Not sure when you are going, but it is a tough walk in the humidity.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

Time to get to either from IM will be about the same.

At Coba, you can rent bikes or man-powered (driver) tricyclos. So walking can be less at Coba.

You can still climb the main structure at Coba.

Plan on close to a 12 hour tour....six or so in driving. Add in a cenote. Also consider Ek Balam if you go to C. Itza.

Manchester...
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

While it was just 2 of us, we enjoyed Coba more so than Chichen Itza. The fact that we could still climb the ruins was a big plus for us.

Also we went to Chichen Itza it was a large group in a large tour bus which while very comfy and a great guide it was not the same as our trip to Coba with a smaller excursion(Alltournative) and a great Guide as well.

Now that I've asked my Wife this question, while she agrees with my assessment thought that Chichen Itza would be the best of the two for a first destination of Mayan ruins.

Cantrell

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

Getting to either before the crowds will make it better. That means an early departure.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

If I were only going to pick one to see, I would choose Chichen Itza. We have toured both and Chichen is simply far superior in terms of being restored. While you can no longer climb the main pyramid at Chichen (I was able to climb both, those days are gone!) I do think overall it is more interesting and stunning to see.

The vendors can be a bit of an annoyance at Chichen, from what I hear and read, they have gotten out of hand. So be prepared for that, and as mentioned, go early to either one you choose.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

Coba! I loved that it was only partially restored. It is in the jungle...good wildlife and birds. Very peaceful and grand....and yes, I did make the climb up the pyramid....total awesome.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

For my wife and I it would be Coba without a doubt.

We have always preferred Coba over Chichen Itza for a variety of reasons. Coba is the oldest of the two sites and is almost pure Mayan with very little Toltec influence. It is in more of a jungle (think Indiana Jones) setting but with a fair amount of walking or you can rent a Pedi cab with a driver to peddle you around or rent a bike yourself. You can still climb the main pyramid at Coba and this is a plus for many. Also, there is more freedom to explore at Coba while nearly everything at Chichen Itza is roped off. Coba is less crowded than Chichen Itza and more importantly there are not any hordes of venders following you around trying to sell you stuff.

The ruins at Chichen Itza are combined Mayan and Toltec. They really downplay the Toltec influence but it is major. Chichen Itza is excavated more than Coba and there is a lot to see (but don't touch) but unless you are there for at least 5 to 6 hours you will not see it all. Chichen Itza can be very crowded (plus hot with in some areas with little shade) and you have a lot of vendors/family’s selling stuff along many of the trails/paths between buildings.

In all fairness, Chichen Itza can be fascinating with plenty to see. However, as I have mentioned, the vender issue can be a major distraction. Again, our favorite of the two is Coba.

Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

All of the people stated great reasons to visit one or the other ruins. But since you stated that you will be traveling with a group aged 9-66 perhaps Tulum might be a great alternative, if you haven't already considered it. Just a suggestion. =^••^=

canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

We loved Coba as it had some shade from the jungle and could climb parts of it. Tulum was crazy hot the day we went and not a ounce of shade, we found we just wanted to race through it. Our favorite so far has been Ek Balam, we were the only ones there that morning, you could climb everything and we enjoyed the walk to the cenote (the stairs down and up the cenote were crazy steep).

Edited: 25 December 2013, 16:51
Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chichen Itza or Coba Mayan?

About the climbing: more and more sites are stopping that activity. It's a 'do it while you still can' type of thing if you have an interest in that. We visited Chichen, Tulum and Uxmal these past weeks and guides are pretty unanimous: they all think that within a few years, none will still allow it. Too much impact...

Chichen was very interesting (splurge for the guide) but the vendors and big crowds really take some magic away from this site. Still glad we went but Uxmal was better.