We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Hi All.

We are traveling to Isla in early Feb on a tight budget. We scored round trip tickets from Chicago to Cancun for 251.99 round trip. (true story) 278.00 total with travel insurance. So then we booked a stay at Hotel Xbulu Ha for another GREAT price. With that being said, how much do you think on a daily basis can I expect to pay in breakfasts, lunches or dinners. We plan on packing our own vodka to bring so cocktails aren't really a big concern. We will go to the store on some days for lunches and or breakfasts. Dinners we plan on dining out every night. We have been to Isla before 2 years ago but we were in an All Inclusive. We found better food off the resort and want to explore authentic foods there. Just a basic average if anyone could chime in. Thanks!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,816 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Does Xbulu Ha have any cooking facilities or even a microwave? Because of course, making some of your own food would be the cheapest - even if you can have a few meals of yoghurt, fresh fruit, etc., You can buy food at the Super Express and the markets.

Restaurant prices really vary on location . . . the 4 restaurants near the public markets (not far from your hotel) are some of the cheapest . . . and those off the main drags. Street food and places like the chicken rotissaries are inexpensive. Do you have a mapchick map? That will be very helpful and many restaurants in their guide have a price listing as well as ratings. Hollyeats also has menu prices, which may be helpful to you. You will have fun!! :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
770 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Without the cost of alcohol I'd budget $30-40 for dinners including tip for a decent meal and $10-12 for lunch. We can do it alot cheaper (or alot more expensive) but if you use this as a baseline you can go really cheap some nights and all out others...$400 total should do it. FYI, the baked goods at Chedraui are really good for breakfast, the chicken/rib places awesome for lunches, and try to the street food here and there and you might end up with lots of extra bucks in your pocket for gelato, fresh fruit, popsicles on the beach, etc.

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

I do have a map chick map, however it is 3 years old. I was considering buying a new one...thinking it's more updated. We do have a fridge and I was considering bringing a George Foreman grill for maybe sandwiches? Has anyone ever done that or is that too extreme??

Thanks for responding. I do appreciate it!!

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

What's Hollyeats?

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

I'd likely budget 500 for lunch/dinner total for 2 people for your trip. This would include some cheaper meals and maybe 1 dinner that is nicer.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

You can find great tortas of chicken or pork for $20 pesos. I think those would be a lot easier than bringing your George foreman.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Don't know how much you eat but I found portions are large and splitting meals and maybe an appetizer could also be considered.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,816 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Here are the reviews from Holly along with menu/food prices. http://www.hollyeats.com/IslaMujeres.htm

I also wouldn't bring a grill . . . I think you will be surprised about how cheap some places are as well as how much you share a meal. Good luck! :)

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Great. Thanks!!

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On A Budget - Average $$ spend for 8 days for lunch, dinners

Yes for sure consider sharing dishes. You can always order more or grab a snack later on if needed. The stalls near the market are very nicely priced... For breakfast lunch or dinner. Great food and friendly service. Like others have said you can find a lot of very nicely priced eats... If you go someplace that's priced higher... Share. If it were me... I'd skip the grill as well.