We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Day 3

Day three started out on the balcony watching another beautiful sunrise and then it was off to OXXO for that first cup of coffee. It was a perfect sunny Isla morning so I headed down to the Malecon for a walk before breakfast. As I walked along, watching the waves breaking on the rocks, I remembered a comment from Seashell, questioning my knowledge of sea glass. It was still early so I headed over to a spot I knew would have the goods and after about fifteen minutes of hunting I was back on the Malecon headed back to the hotel with two pockets filled with glass, including two nice size pieces of blue and one piece of black.

After dropping off the glass and rinsing the salt off myself, I headed for Hidalgo and breakfast. As I was strolling down Hidalgo trying to decide on the perfect spot I heard someone calling to me and spotted Seashell and heynurse seated at Barlito’s. They invited me to join them so I grabbed a cinnamon roll, watermelon water and pulled up a chair. As we sat enjoying breakfast we talked about what the day might bring. Heynurse asked if the cart issue had been resolved and I said I’d yet to go check this morning. Seashell had some Islaholic bracelet business to attend to so we walked her up to Medina, left her to it and heynurse and I headed down to the cart rental shop, hoping for some good news. Frank told us he had received an email from the owner of the company I’d rented through. He said the owner admitted the oversight and said he was sending his representative on the island down to make the payment. However, as of yet no one had come by to make the payment, so still no refund. As we left the cart rental shop we met up with Seashell again. Heynurse said she knew the person who was supposed to be making the payment and had to meet him later that day to get a key for the rental where she would be spending the second half of the week. We all had a few things to do, so we agreed to meet up in an hour or so and head down to the south end.

I returned to Rocamar, grabbed the cart and headed to the Modelorama to pick up some Negra Modelo. On the way around the loop through Centro I stopped by the Juice lady and scored a liter of her amazing Mango juice. As I cruised through Centro, on the way back to Rocamar, sipping the juice with the warm Isla sun shining on my face, I reflected on just how lucky I was to be here on Isla again. Once back at Rocamar and the Modelo was stocked into the fridge, I had a little time before meeting the girls, so I headed for the hammock with the rest of my juice.

Twenty minutes of swinging in time with the rhythm of the waves and I was back in the cart and headed to pick up heynurse. It was after ten when I arrived and heynurse and I both agreed we’d waited long enough, so we cracked a couple of Sol and enjoyed them out on the balcony while watching the action on Hidalgo. Eleven thirty am and we were back in the cart and heading over to pick up seashell then off to the south. During the drive south I asked Seashell if she had made it over to Villa la Bella for a Pina Colada yet and when the answer came back no, I knew where the first stop was going to be. We arrived at VLB just as Curtis was backing the palapa covered Jeep so we said hello before grabbing a table out past the pool. Three Pina Coladas, enjoyed in the beautiful setting at VLB followed by each of us taking turns behind the camera and then we were back in the cart and headed out. Having never been to the rental heynurse was going to be staying at; I was not completely sure how to get there and proceeded to get us lost. After driving around for about fifteen minutes we found ourselves passing VLB and pulling into the little dead end road, literally 100 yards from where we started from. Heynurse found the guy she was to meet, got the key and had a conversation about getting my cart situation resolved. We walked over to her rental and got a tour. The house was beautiful with a view that equaled what I had at Rocamar.

After checking the entire place out and snapping a few photos we headed back to Centro. Seashell had some things to do so we dropped her off and heynurse and I headed to Pita Amore for lunch. They were not open yet so I said I wanted to head over to Fenix for a quick chat with Marcelo to be sure everything was set for the TA get together later that night. We found Marcelo right away and he assured me everything was all set. He arranged it so that each TA member would receive a welcome Margarita as they arrived and had two areas of the restaurant set up just for us with dedicated waiters and waitresses. He also confirmed that the performer I had requested was going to be performing and that he had heard from Rebeca who had confirmed she would be there as she and I had agreed. After thanking Marcelo for everything we headed back to Pita Amore for a great lunch and a big piece of their delicious Flan.

I dropped heynurse at her hotel and returned to Rocamar. I had arrangements to meet MinneapolisMarla and her poolboy in the common area at Rocamar around five and give them a little walking tour of Centro on the way to Fenix. As I was parking the cart I heard a voice from above saying “ïs that RickS I see down there?” I looked up to find Marla looking over the balcony. They had just arrived and were getting settled in so we agreed to meet at the pool in about an hour. An hour later the three of us headed out for a tour around Centro on our way to the get together. As we strolled through Centro, talking and me acting as tour guide, I inadvertently went straight across on Guerrero and ended up at the dead end by Nautibeach. Not wanting to admit I got a bit lost I pointed to Abuelo’s and mentioned it was an excellent spot for breakfast and was why I brought them down to the end of the road (whew, good save). We then made out way over to Fenix and the get together. Several people were already there and I was greeted by MarkfromAlaska and WayneP. As we were standing there talking Mr and Mrs fotodude arrived as well as heynurse and seashell. Margaritas were being handed out and we were all introducing ourselves around. About 6:00pm Fabio arrived and began to play and as he did heynurse and seashell both spun around to look at me, only to find I was already looking at them with a big smile. Heynurse said “the other day when we were at The Joint listening to them play and me going on about how amazing they were, you knew they were going to be playing here tonight and said nothing?” As I was trying to come up with an excuse I noticed Rebeca walking in and jumped up excusing myself saying I had to go speak with her. I greeted Rebeca and she greeted me with a little surprise of her own. Through emails we had agreed she would be performing with two drummers for us, but she brought Angel with her and the two would be performing together along with the drummers. I thanked her for the wonderful surprise and handed her an envelope of pesos.

As Rebeca and Angel went to setup I headed back to the table and some looks from heynurse and Seashell. After a little explaining I didn’t want to ruin the surprise, Fabio took a break from playing and the Fire show began. The performance was everything I expected and more. Once Rebeca concluded her show, Fabio came back and played for another half an hour. The get together was a lot of fun and I got to meet many TA friends. Sometime after 9:30pm myself, heynurse, Mr and Mrs fotodude, MinneapolisMarla and poolboy and marynTulsa headed over to Tiny’s Bar. What followed was drinking, dancing and a lot of great fun… Sometime later in the evening the drinking had finally started to go to my head and Tiny’s was beginning to rotate slowly. I grabbed Tiny’s attention, paid my tab and went for a walk to clear my head. As I walked around Centro I head Fabio playing at La Terraza so I went in and pulled up a chair. I made some new friends and shortly after, things got a little fuzzy. There was some dancing, walking swimming and …. More to come

whitby
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 3

Another awesome report,

Thanks Rick

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 3

The TA meet up at Fenix was wonderful, Rick. Thanks for making it happen. My eyebrows are STILL growing back (that's how close the fire dancers were to us on a windy night.) Awesome!

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 3

LOVE this report! :) Only difference in my report will be "I got a little fuzzy at Tiny's...me, Marla, and Pool Boy left to go find Bimbo dogs. We scored the dogs, I walked them back to Roca Mar, then headed 'home' to bed. " There was no pool, or any other "reallyyyyyyyyy" fun activities. :) That night may have been the funnest night ever, despite my lack of that. We MUST do it again! I am so excited to have found the RickS chairs! I actually have a photo directional thingy to direct people to the spot. Maybe someone will bring a new chair to replace the broken one...

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 3

Swimming after all that... WHAT????

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 3

Sounds wonderful. So glad the meetup turned out great and you all got to put a face to the name :)

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 3

Great report Rick. Thanks for sharing.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 3

Ah Rick, you have brought back so many memories....very good ones! It seems like yesterday but at the same time it feels like 'forever ago'! I've been waiting anxiously for the 'day 3' trip report. You pretty much told it like it was..."There was some dancing, walking swimming and …. "!!!! LOL! Come back soon so we can do it all again!

8. Re: Day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18