We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Block?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bucks county PA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Sun Block?

just wondering if I should check a bag just for sun block, or just buy when we get there. How much does it cost on the island?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Block?

We usually bring some sunblock in a 100ml container and then buy a bigger bottle on Isla. The price is comparable to at home and probably not worth checking an extra bag.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Block?

For the price of a checked bag you could get some at Chedraui.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Block?

Remember to purchase biodegradable if you plan to swim in natural water. Some snorkeling areas require this. Enjoy!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Block?

It is definitely more expensive here but if you have to pay to check a bag, it might just be cheaper to buy it at Chedraui. If you don't have to pay for a bag, I would bring my own.

Enjoy your vacation.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Block?

It seems they have some at Tarzan. I saw a lady buy a bottle of Australian Gold 15spf for $150mp. I didn't think that was a bad price.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Block?

We buy a large bottle here and squirt it into several 3 oz plastic containers for our carry on luggage. Never had a problem.

Bucks county PA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Block?

Thanks everyone!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Block?

Also, Walgreens has the right travel size sunscreens in several SPFs - I think they are 2 for $5. We load up on those and just buy one spray-on container on the island. We prefer a spray for the re-apply all day.

Bucks county PA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Block?

I always buy those little fill containers at the dollar store and fill with hair products. I guess i will do that. :)

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Block?

If you are using USA transfers, they have a really good reef safe (you want reef safe as there still can be toxins in biodegradable). You order on line and driver has it when .you are picked up at the airport. I always buy extra for the grandbabies at home. It's $12.

Always takes a minute to find the order page. From the home page, go to airport transfers and the button is under the banner.