We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solo to Isla for first time

Atlanta, Georgia
10 posts
Save Topic
Traveling solo to Isla for first time

I've already gotten some great info from this forum about traveling to Isla. I'm thinking of going in

April or May. Is this time of year considered high or low season? Are there any times to avoid going to Isla in terms of weather?

This will be a solo trip so could you recommend places to stay where I would've feel out of place as a single female. I'm looking to stay 3-4 weeks. Thanks everyone!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

May is my favorite time to go, though I've been there pretty much every month except Sept - Nov. Many women travel solo to Isla so you won't feel out of place anywhere. Knowing your budget would help with recommendation for hotels :)

Atlanta, Georgia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

Budget wise, I would say moderate. definitely not high end unless it was a fantastic deal.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

Travel solo to Isla a lot (2/3x/year). Never felt out of place. My favorite solo spots are Rocamar, la Vida Dulce and Elements of the island. I prefer April to May (went once in May. It was HOT!) though prices are lower in May. Low season prices start mid-April or beginning of May, depending.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 12:43
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

In addition to the ones mentioned by Gatine, hotel Xbulu Ha, Las Palmas, Maria Leticia apartments, would also be great. For a larger hotel with nice pool and restaurant there's Posada del Mar. Very reasonably priced for what you get.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
323 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

May is my favorite month in Isla. It is nice weather, and the prices are lower. I travel solo much of the time. This year, I have booked starting April 30th; because I want to see the Artist's Fair. It is only once a month on the first Thursday. I would vote for Maria Leticia for such a long stay.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

How about Casa El Pio? I've never stayed there but friends have and they loved it.

Alplaus, New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

I also go solo frequently (about 3 x year) and never had any problems.If some of the vendors start getting pushy or I feel uncomfortable I just tell them I was looking to meet my 6' 4" son! that usually makes them back off!!. I usually stay in centro as easier to catch a cab, etc. But I have always felt safe, even during early am walks on the malecon.Just use good judgement and dont flash $$ around.I am returning again in mid April, probably staying near or at Maria's Cabanas del Mar. I actually toured them last time(Dec 2013) and thought they were cute, clean and VERY reasonable.And right on North Beach (you get a better rate if you offer cash over credit card payment I found!! I was quoted $20 /nite difference for cash vs cc). I know many solo female travelers who visit and they usually pay ahead for the 1st two days at the smaller hotels, and then extend the dates once they are there if they like the place, or else go strolling for another small hotel. I have known a couple ladies to get a clean safe room in centro for $32/nite with pvt bath and refrig at Hotel Marcenito(?sp) PM me if you want and we can chat more about any specifics.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

Have been in the months of June, May and November. November is my favourite but May was nice..June was way too hot for me.

Love Hotel Marcianito and Xbulu-Ha..both owned by the same family. Xbulu-Ha is quieter but I love the location of Marcianito. Agree with La Vida Dulce, Rocamar, Casa el Pio. Also Sabina's Apartments, Hotel Kinich, Casa Havana. A place I haven't seen is Que Barbara and I wanted to check out the Osorio (but it doesn't have a/c).

Edited: 09 January 2014, 16:08
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

I've been to Isla more than 20 times as a solo traveler and love it. The last couple of years I've been staying at Rocamar and have fallen in love with the hotel. It has a great location, convienent to everything in Centro, but just far enough away to allow to to enjoy the beautiful sounds on the Caribbean undisturbed, from your balcony hammock. The rooms are simple and clean with all the basic amnenities, including a mini fridge, in room safe, and that amazing hammock. Isla is a great place to travel solo. The locals are so friendly and pretty much anywhere you go there's someone there to strike up a conversation with.

Atlanta, Georgia
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling solo to Isla for first time

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Now to see if I can get a decent airfare...