We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
724 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

I am suddenly intrigued by Isla Mujeres and thinking this could be our next vacation. Here is a little about us:

- favourite vacations have been Bocas Del Toro, Panama and Roatan, Honduras.

- the reason we like these places is how "chill" they are, you can walk to restaurants, it isn't dressy, people are friendly and you feel like a local in no time.

- we are in and around 50 (hubby is just over and I am just under) but we are very active and fit and like to walk, walk, walk so the idea of a small island is appealing.

- we both SCUBA dive and snorkle

- we love good and interesting food

Does this place sound right for us?

Kenai
Level Contributor
669 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

Perfect for you... great diving and snorkeling... a ridiculous amount of EXCELLENT restaurants... Very chill...I think maybe one or two places on the entire island where you should put a shirt over your bikini top for dinner.

Very friendly locals... very safe...you can walk everywhere...

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

- the reason we like these places is how "chill" they are, you can walk to restaurants, it isn't dressy, people are friendly and you feel like a local in no time.

You have just described Isla .

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

I think you need to book now. Make sure you pick a spot in/near Centro/Playa Norte so you can walk to a lot of the restaurants. For the size of this island, the number of restaurants is very impressive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

WOW! Such great feedback and yes, I would love to book now duckbilled! :)

But, we do our vacations in November as our kids are competitive ski racers and no trips from December to April. But, this sounds like a sure thing for next November!

Thanks so much!

Harpswell, Maine
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

November would be a great time to be there. I was there in mid- October and it was still hot hot HOT... nice and breezy at night though. I can imagine November would be a more comfortable version of HOT.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 02:23
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

Isla Mujeres fits the bill for everything on your wish list. I think you could have a wonderful time on the island.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

Boca del Toro and Roatan are two places that keep popping up whenever someone asks what other places are there similar to Isla. So I think it'd be right for you :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

Yes, I once posted on TA asking "where should we go next, as we love Roatan" and Boca was there, as was Isla. My daughter spent last summer in Nicaragua, most of the time in San Juan Del Sur. It sounds like it would also be a very cool place to visit.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
304 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

Been looking for other places to go that are similar to Isla. Boca del Toro and Roatan sound like they are worth checking out. Thanks!

Columbus, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Isla Mujeres right for us?

My husband and I will be back on the island in 4 days! Our first time on the island was Jan. 2013, and this will be our 3rd trip...all in a years time.

I snorkel and my husband scuba dives and we both like to fish. This place is perfect for that. Everything is so casual and the food is amazing, priced very well too. Everyone there seems to move at such a slow pace and really enjoy every minute of the day. There is no rushing for anything, no lines anywhere, no wait to be seated at restaurants, it's pretty perfect.

The only thing I don't like about it, is all of the stay animals. Makes me sad :-( But that is the only negative thing I have to say about the island.