We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

Hello All,

After booking a MUCH anticipated 4th trip to our favorite Island (this time bringing my husbands parents and our 5 year old little boy), we discovered we are pregnant. Oops! :-) Little miracles are just on their own schedule I suppose. This means I will be at the very beginning of my third trimester (28-29 weeks). Since this is our 4th trip, I am familiar with the Island, but I was just looking for some information to ease my fears for the "what if" situations. If I need to get off the island and seek medical help, say in the middle of the night, what are my options???

I have a feeling my doctor might frown upon this trip, but at this point, we have 6 plane tickets purchased (some with frequent flier miles), deposits on rooms etc. So, we'd be losing lots of money on tickets, miles etc. We DO have cancel for any reason trip insurance through travelguard (sending up MANY thanks to the late Kathryn Blume for introducing us to the importance of trip insurance, she was a complete life saver helping us plan our last trip out there a couple of years ago), but we'd still lose TONS of airline miles. :-/ Barring any emergency situation or bedrest type event, we are going to have to make this trip work. I figure lounging on the beach for a week can't be SO bad, right? :-)

Anyway, I am looking for experiences people have had similar to my situation and any insight/tips they can offer. Thanks a ton in advance!!! :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

Depending on the airlines, you may need to bring a letter from your doctor/midwife along with your last prenatal. I flew once in later in a pregnancy, and had to have that, but that was awhile ago - things may have changed. :)

I know people speak highly of Dr. Salas, but I think you would have to be prepared for a hospital in Cancun. But to be honest, the chances of anything happening to you are slim. You have your trip insurance and you wouldn't be at the end of your pregnancy, so I would just go and enjoy Isla! :)

New England
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

Are you sure you would lose your airline miles? Most of the major airlines allow you to re-instate those miles for a fee.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

If you are having an uncomplicated pregnancy I think you will be fine. Check with your airline what their requirements are for traveling when pregnant. Some require a letter after 28 weeks from your doctor. Others don't .

I traveled at 24 weeks to Cozumel when pregnant with twins. I signed up for evacuation medical service (you would most likely have to go to Cancun if something happened). I also had the length of my cervix measured and had the fetal fibronectin test which will tell you if you are likely to go into labor within 2 weeks. Because I was expecting multiples (higher risk) I needed the letter.

I had a great time and snorkled with my big belly. I think everything will be just fine.

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

You'll still be 10-12 weeks out; that's not really too bad in an uncomplicated pregnancy. Basic care not to sit too long, drink lots of water, avoid salt and too much caffeine. Make sure your OB knows and agrees and you should have a great and relaxing time. Be healthy!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
669 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

Of course ya know your OB is probably your best source of advice. (not travel sites or social networks)

re airlines.. Travel restrictions on pregnancy generally kick in at 36wks. Check w yr airline.

Re the isle..

Women give birth on the isle and the local hospital does C sections..and our Specialty hospital will be opening up in a month or two. (However last year there were 70+ births...of which over forty were C secs according to a recent newspaper article)

Currently the boat ambulance is still not operational and transports are generally done on the regular ferry schedule. Emergencies that cannot be handled at the hospital and are too urgent for the next ferry may go over on the Naval launch...this doesn't usually include births, to my limited knowledge, since there is capability here for c secs. BUT, no real NICU so if you were premature w time to transport..then they probably would.

Dr Salas speaks English and would be a good person to contact while all is well, when you arrive... just in case you need help. Odds are ya won't but if ya do, you'll be glad you were so careful and thoughtful now. Dehydration is one of the most common triggers to premature contractions...both flying and being in the tropics increases your risk of dehydration, so try and pay attention to that. Let others carry your stuff, take it easy, rest, walk (when you are rested) to help move the fluids outa your lower extremities and prevent clots. (I'm a retired midwife living on the isle, who translates the news daily for a coupla years..also a journalist....so my info is fairly reliable, but it is second hand from talking to women and reading the newspapers.)

There are also boats that do private transports across the bay. If you are concerned, you can make arrangements with a captain and get his number. FB IM Community board has of contacts of boat captains and there has been at least one who has offered to transport in a medical emergency.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 07:19
6. Re: Traveling to IM with a stow-away ;-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:20