We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

We saw a segment on House Hunters International about this island and are very interested in vacationing here. We are in our sixties, do not party and want a small, quiet resort on a nice (fairly uncrowded) swimmable beach. Does this exist?

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

Isla is a wonderful island that has great places to stay! There are small condos such as Nautibeach which is located on north beach...the best beach....PA which is just behind Nautibeach...good beach right across a sand road,,,not entirely small though.....Media Luna and Secreto are great small hotels...but a short walk to a swimmable beach...but beach front. Do you have a price point?

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

Although the swimming is off of a dock at Casa de los Sueños, it's a great little boutique hotel, and the water is very swimable. Some nice snorkeling right from their property, as well as kayaks that you may use. www.casasuenos.com

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,764 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

Depending on your budget, Villa Rolandi is wonderful. It's very quiet and private with a small, private beach that's only for its guests. Excellent service and a great restaurant with beautiful views of Cancun. It's not in town so you would need a cab and/or golf cart to go back and forth to the various restaurants, but if that's not an issue, and budget allows, definitely check it out. You can also get a private transfer from airport on their own yacht which will deliver you directly to VR.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

I recommend Privilege Aluxes

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

Hotel Secreto would be the closet to what you want.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

I second villa Rolandi. You can lounge around and swim from the beach there. You can't swim in front of hotel Secreto. Privilege Aluxes is exactly what you do not want in my opinion.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

Bear in mind that what you saw on the TV show were private homes and luxuriously-appointed. The words "boutique hotel" and "resort" are not synonymous. We need more details about what level of service you desire? All-inclusive or not? Luxury or basics?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

When was Isla on House Hunters?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,875 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

I wouldn't consider PA a small boutique hotel. Without knowing OP's budget, it would be difficult to make recommendations. :)

Edited: 19 February 2014, 01:56
Madison, Wisconsin
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for small, botique resort on nice beach.

First of all, Isla Mujeres is fantastic! My husband and I stopped there years ago on trip around Mexico and Belize. We loved it so much we decided to go back there to get married! If you want a good deal, easy to get to, relatively quiet island with beautiful beaches, Isla is great.

isla-mujeres.net is a fantastic source for accommodations; very comprehensive. When we got married we stayed at the Ixchel Beach Hotel. Not a boutique hotel but we did a VRBO on one of the condos and got a great 2 bedroom condo with a private rooftop (with a hot tub) overlooking the north beach (which is the most beautiful and is good for swimming). If you're looking for deals, try the off season; we rented ours for $125 a night and it was gorgeous! Even though it was a mid-large hotel by Isla standards it definitely felt boutique; we mostly had the pool to ourselves and never saw anyone but the assistant assigned to our rental.

The first time we went we did Punta Piedra 1 on the east side of the island. The beach was rocky but the water was fun to swim in. We loved it, though, largely because again we went in the off season and wound up with the whole place to ourselves - our own pool and beach!

I would check out the apartment and vacation rentals on the island. The beaches on the west side are mostly less populated but still nice. If you go in the off season, you can definitely do something by Norte Playa without feeling overcrowded.

Have a great trip!