We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your first visit

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester...
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Your first visit

When was your first visit to Isla Mujeres? And what strikes you as the biggest change you've seen since then?

Does anybody have any pics with age that show what used to be?

We were shopping there yesterday talking to one of the Vendors, he'd been there 28 years and remembered when the streets were all sand.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your first visit

On my first visit in the mid 70's I remember that the streets were sand.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,655 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your first visit

Yes, my first visit was when streets were all sand too and didn't even have names outside of centro. Hidalgo was just a handful of restaurants and there was nothing much north of Matamoros except everyone's favorite breakfast place, the Red Eye, run by a lovely lady, Inge. There were no large hotels, very few cabs, and the vast majority of visitors were young backpackers. Very few private villas so the views as you drove to Punta Sur were stunning, not obstructed like they are now. The Caribbean side was almost completely undeveloped. It was much more a sleepy fishing village and much fewer visitors. Playa Norte was then called Coco Beach because of all the palms that were later destroyed by a hurricane.

I'll see if I can find some pictures to scan as there were no digital cameras :)

Edited: 20 February 2014, 12:00
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your first visit

We are relative newbies. My first visit was in 2006. The biggest changes I have seen are the construction and opening of Privleges Aluxes and Chedraui. I sure wish I had experienced the island in its pristine state.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,848 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your first visit

My first visit was, I think, in 2000. At the time Avalon was just a 'shell', having been destroyed by a recent hurricane. We were staying in Cancun, big mistake, we found ourselves heading to Isla every day we didn't have something else planned.

I haven't been back since PA was completed, my last visit it was under construction. Ixchel was enough of an eyesore.

We may go for a few days this summer, mainly to swim with the whale sharks.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your first visit

First visit was 1986. All sand roads. 1 taxi, no people on Playa Norte, it was January and the beach by Na Balam was huge. El Presidente was just opening. Very few old Mexican hotels and few stores on Hildalgo which closed in the afternoon.

It was absolute heaven. Knew it couldn't last.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 14:01
6. Re: Your first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:22