We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea lice in March

Indiana
Level Contributor
248 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Sea lice in March

Anyone have experience with sea lice in March on Isla?

I think the old wives tale is Mother's Day-Father's Day......

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea lice in March

Never been bothered by them at any time of the year and the only time I have not been on Isla is Sept - November.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea lice in March

While I've seen complaints in places like Cozumel, I haven't seen anybody complaining of sea lice in this forum. I do recall one woman who picked up a rash but her description made it seem more like fire coral.

There is a product called Safe Sea that is used for the prevention and treatment of sea lice stings. Also, I recommend you bring two bathing suits and alternate daily--sea lice (really jellyfish larvae) can survive for more than 24 hours in your suit and sting you the next day. And if you go straight from the ocean to the pool, I've heard of the chemicals in the pool water causing them to fire.

But no worries, there isn't really much of a problem on Isla.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea lice in March

I have never heard anyone talking about them here, either.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea lice in March

On other isla mujeres message boards, the issue has come up on occasion. If you go to islamujeres.info/communicating/QA_forum.asp and put "sea lice" in the search box, you will get a few posts.

Indiana
Level Contributor
248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea lice in March

I got them years & years ago while in Cancun (I believe in May) and I was miserable!

Ok, good to know! Thanks everyone:)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
383 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea lice in March

You can get into problems with sea lice on Isla. A friend we were traveling with got the rash in late April years ago. She thinks she acquired it while snorkeling and swimming through turtle grass areas on the bayside. That being said, we've been on Isla in April, May, June, and July and never had a problem. I used to buy the Safe Sea sunscreen if we were coming in the April to June time frame, but haven't bothered in years.

7. Re: Sea lice in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:16