We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Edon, Ohio
Level Contributor
195 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

I usually research things extensively before I buy. But for various reasons, I was at a point of "I need a vacation now" and booked tickets through Orbitz with Spirit Airlines. Now as I am getting closer to trip time I'm seeing some very negative things about Spirit. I'm trying not to panic and to prepare. One of the things is prepaying luggage costs and boarding passes before going to the airport. I can do this before I leave, but is their a place on Isla that I would be able to prepay and get boarding passes printed 24 hrs before I fly back. Any insights would be helpful--I am not a frequent flyer. Thank you.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Used Spirit many times, no problem at all, most important is to know luggage cost and to go lite.

They print you boarding pass, no charge for this in CUN

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

We have used that flight twice. Prepay for your bags departing and returning ahead of time. No worry's.

Also only 40 pound bags. Leave the dress cloths at home, no need for them on Isla. No free carry on other than purse, coat and a small back-pack that must fit under the seat. Bags not prepaid and checked at the counter will cost $100.

We like it because there is MUCH less carry on bags and the plane loads and unloads fast.

Just be aware there is nothing fee on board but you can bring food, drinks and movies on the Ipad.

No movies or music on the plane.

We like Spirit and the big front seats if you can get them.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Last year we flew AirTran, and while their ticket cost seemed much lower, when you added baggage fees it wasn't that much lower. Had no issues with the flights, luckily.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,917 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Do you need quarters to use the restrooms on Spirit...or is that free?

Isla
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Spirit does suck. Worst airline ever. That being said - if it's cheap enough and you know what you're getting (the first 2 posts above are very helpful) odds are you'll be fine. The other thing to be aware of is they don't code share with other airlines. That means that if they have a problem with your plane, they can't put you on another airlines flight - you're just waiting for them to fix your plane.

The fact is if you add in all of their fees (especially for international where most airlines give you a free bag) they usually aren't that much cheaper than one of the real airlines. But since you've already bought - just pay attention to the fees and try to minimize them.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 16:38
Edon, Ohio
Level Contributor
195 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Do they weigh carry on bags too?

Knothead - Did you have to pay extra for the big front seats?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

LOL CO pilot54! They charge by the liter or pound i guess! that was just not right......hehe

Edon, Ohio
Level Contributor
195 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

CO _Pilot, you are not helping the panic! :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

I'd much rather fly Delta with free 50 lb bag but the Spirit flight is non-stop and way cheaper when I booked. Spirit also leave DTW at 12:40 pm arrives at 2:30 pm, we don't have to get up in the middle of the night to start our vacation.

Downonthefarm,

Our hotel, Privlige Aluxes, printed them in the lobby. I'm not sure you need them, ask on the way down.

You should have a Spirit confirmation code listed in your Orbitz booking. It would be a 6 digit alpha numeric code. Go to Spirit.com and create an account, find your reservation and then you will be able to reserve your seat, prepay for bags.

I think the seat option for the Detroit to CUN flight are FREE (they assign seats), $18 reserved, $25 exit row, $40 big front seat. (nice seats)

Edon, Ohio
Level Contributor
195 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Airlines Panic - DTW to CUN

Knothead, thank you so much for the detailed information!