We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres and Merida?

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres and Merida?

Being I only have 7 days in Mexico, I'm trying to see if it's worth it to split the time between Merida and Isla Mujeres. I really want to visit Merida, but I know it's a long day travelling. I love the idea of spending the entire week exploring Isla Mujeres and being on the beach. May I get some input and opinions please?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,481 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

I hope you will not miss Merida. One of my favorite cities in Mexico and a good insight into the ¨real¨Mexico. Not really such a long trip. About 4 hours on one of ADO´s frequent , very comfortable buses.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,648 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

Merida is a beautiful city and I've spent many vacations there over the years but honestly, to do it any justice you'll need at least 3 or 4 days. And that's bare minimum. Otherwise, you won't even be able to scratch the surface. It's a very large city with both an old and a new section and you need time to explore it. It's a 4 hour drive from downtown bus station plus add the time to clear customs, get luggage, and get to the station. If you want time to just relax and enjoy Isla, I would skip it this time and go when you have at least 10 days to two weeks to spend between the two. Otherwise you'll have just a few days at each, not doing either (or you) any justice.

Cedar Park, Tx
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

I have to agree with TavlerNewYork. Last summer we spent two weeks ion Isla, we drove to Merida for an overnight and one day was not close to enough.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

We went to Merida last year at he beginning of our 10-night trip, spending 4 nights in Merida, which really means 3 days. We spent two days exploring just the historic center of the city and 1 day going down to Uxmal, Lol-tun and seeing a hacienda. We planned our trip to be in Merida on the weekend, when there are street fairs, and I'd say that even if you skipped the day we did in Uxmal that 3 nights would be the absolute minimum in order to see enough to make the 4-hour trip each way worth it. We loved Merida and we know we will go back, but when we do one of these splits we generally have more than 7 nights to work with.

If you'd like specifics on how we spent our time in Merida and the things we did, here's my Trip Report. You'll see that for even a short stay it's pretty long--there's just so much to see and do. If you do decide to go, I highly recommend our hotel, Luz en Yucatan, which is very inexpensive and puts you within walking distance of all the historic sites.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150811-i426-k6873…

Edited: 02 March 2014, 15:32
5. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 00:32
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

I have always wanted to go to Merida - and have spent a delightful evening enjoying your report, Dmartin! Someday!! :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
302 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

Maybe start in Merida 1 or 2 nights and finish at the beach/island?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

Splitting the time, as in, a few days in each place? Is it worth it, you ask?

YES!

Don't think of the four hours on the bus as wasted time. It's relax time, like beach time is relax time. The better buses (ADO GL, Platino) are very comfortable. Do it, do it, do it.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

Merida and Isla Mujeres are my two favourite places in this part of Mexico. If you're OK with a somewhat whirlwind trip, I say go for it. Try to be in Merida Sat/Sun night, though with such a short trip I think the most efficient way to do it would be to hop on a bus to Merida straight after landing in Cancun. It'll be a long day, but then you won't eat up another day with travel time. Two nights in Merida, then back to the coast to relax on the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres and Merida?

I agree--the most "painless" way to do it is the beginning or end of your trip--that's a travel day anyway.