We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The day of smelly dining

Minnesota
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The day of smelly dining

We walked to The Joint for lunch after enjoying the crashing waves at Punta Sur in mid February. While the food was good, there was an intermittent smell of “potty” to put it politely. There was a watery damp place at the front of the premises, below the seating, that may have been septic tank leakage. I do not plan to return.

Later, toward the end of dinner at Fayne’s, a very strong smell of toilet bowl cleaner descended. We were eager to leave, but it took three requests for la cuenta to be delivered. The manager acknowledged the smell, stated that it comes from a pipe on the northern edge of the property, it is intermittent, and unfortunately that pipe is not within the control of Fayne's.

Fortunately, we suffered no further smelly dining in subsequent days.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The day of smelly dining

An island in Mexico that gets very harsh rainy weather....

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The day of smelly dining

We notice smells like this enough that when we smell it in the US we both go "that smells like Mexico!"

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The day of smelly dining

Wyobean we do the exact same thing! Funny how a bad smell can bring right back to being on Isla ;) A bad smell on Isla is better than a bad smell in Pittsburgh any day!

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The day of smelly dining

I completely agree about "The Joint". Having never been there, we stopped in during our annual Isla GolfCart cruise, and stayed about 30 seconds. But this was more than some obscure pipe buried somewhere .... in the front on the left was an actual runoff of the aromatic sludge (and it didn't appear to have been something recent).

Never again.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The day of smelly dining

These are not at all uncommon "aromas" in Mexico. We've experienced that nose-wrinkling scents everywhere we've ever visited in the country, and we also do the "smells like Mexico!" thing when we catch a waft of that smell at home. May sound nutty, but ALL of the smells - even those that are unpleasant - are perfectly acceptable to me when I'm on holiday in Mexico. It is what it is, and people just learn to live with it. If the locals can do that, then so can I -- and still enjoy.

:-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The day of smelly dining

Yeah. Depending on which way the wind is blowing we look at each other while passing the Vistalamar and say,"Aquakhan!"

I don't mind the smell except not while I'm dining or sleeping.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The day of smelly dining

Okay....what is "aquakhan"?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The day of smelly dining

That's the sewage treatment/processing plant.

Kenai
Level Contributor
692 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The day of smelly dining

We've caught a whiff while driving by the joint too...they should fix that. We stopped going there because of it...it's pretty bad.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The day of smelly dining

We will have to start saying that, Walker E. We try to prepare ourselves every time but it just hits you in the face.