We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Cart rant

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Golf Cart rant

Last night while walking into town we got to the orange cones by the area at the new ferry terminal. There was a man driving a golf cart with someone(spouse or older child) in the front seat and 2 young(7-10) children in the back seat. He started using the cones as if it was a driving course weaving in and out of each one. There were tons of pedestrians. I could not believe this idiot would put his children and all the pedestrians at risk. I was not quick enough to say anything to him, I guess it just so shocked me.

I relayed this message to my neighbor and she told me that yesterday morning there was a man riding in the passenger seat while a 12 ish year old girl drove the cart. They were by Kash Keken Chuc. The police had their lights on, the golf cart pulled over and the man walked around and got into the driver's seat and everyone went on their merry way.

I am at a loss for words on the behavior of these adults! I am posting this on several boards so that maybe someone will see themselves and spend a moment thinking about it.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Cart rant

Wyobean, I noticed the same sort of thing, especially very young children driving carts. I also saw a woman triumphantly pull her cart up onto the new malecon at the south end. WTH? The overall cart traffic and speed took some of the joy out of doing the loop. Is there an age requirement for driving carts?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Cart rant

I really wonder what people are thinking sometimes. In December I saw someone driving a cart down the malecon. and also a group of maybe 8 college age kids, all on the same cart, driving down near The Joint.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Cart rant

You are supposed to have a drivers license to drive a cart, no age limit as far as I know.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Cart rant

From the upstairs of Jax we saw some idiot driving a golf cart across the street on the sidewalk using the circular planters as pylons.

Nuts.

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf Cart rant

we've travelled to isla a couple or three times a year for several years and have seen a lot of bad and irresponsible driving. you have to have a driver's license to drive a cart and its illegal to drink while driving. cops prefer to give a warning - less fuss - but if the driver's intoxicated they could well be arrested. the week before last the municipal cops and navy had a joint ride check in the middle of the day and i just asked one of the navy guys to clarify - license, alcohol and drugs.

back to the irresponsible driving - thot I'd seen all manner of bad driving but last week i saw this woman in a loaded cart come to a complete stop about 2 ft from the curb 3/4 of the way around the fisherman's monument. since she was giving her passengers an animated tour of the immediate area she didn't notice that every single vehicle coming around that circle had to veer sharply to avoid her cart. when i pointed this out to her she told me she had everything under control! i persisted - she ignored it.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf Cart rant

bocagrande, I think we passed the same woman but down along the caribbean side by the Margaritaville villa. She had completely stopped in the middle of the lane, pointing out things to the people with her & taking pictures. At one point she even got out of the cart to take pictures. We couldn't believe it!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf Cart rant

And these would be the same people, when pulled over by the police for stupidity or drunk driving, would cry harassment. Since we're on a rant lol...to be a buzz kill...it never ceases to amaze me that people think it's ok to drink while driving a golf cart. You're driving on a public street often through neighbourhoods where there's kids playing, dogs running around, scooters, taxis etc. Screaming and hollering is silly. I've commented to friends that if f anyone ever came through our neighbours pulling some of that nonsense they'd find themselves underneath their cart lol. I try to keep in mind that I'm a guest..they didn't invite me there..be respectful and use some common sense.

There...done...stepping off soap box now. :-D

Edited: 12 March 2014, 13:43
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf Cart rant

I'll take over that soap box, WIBS :) People would not dream of letting their underage kid without a license drive their car at home, nor would they drive around with a can of beer or margarita in hand in NY, Detroit, or Chicago, yet think nothing of doing it on Isla. Why? It's a vehicle and not a toy, and is just as likely to cause harm as a car. So treat it as you would at home and respect the locals' right to be safe even if you don't care about your own safety. Okay, handing over to soap box to someone else now ;)

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf Cart rant

I’ll chime in as a curmudgeon. As long as there are day trippers from Cancun, and golf carts for rent, this is going to happen. It’s going to get worse. There’s no way the local police will start arresting tourists until someone gets killed. I’ve rented golf carts exactly twice, myself, over the last three decades. I like to walk and I like to take taxis and buses. I don’t need a golf cart and I would not miss them at all if they vanished.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf Cart rant

...and now for the most people seen on a scooter at once....6 !!! That was before they started cracking down on helmets and unsafe driving.