We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bank account compromised

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
bank account compromised

Just to let everyone know that I was notified today that my bank account had been compromised. I was on Isla and used my debit card at the bank across from the ferry. I've used it countless times over the years. I was on Isla in January. My bank notified me that there were 2 transactions on my account from the same bank machine after I had left that went through. I've now confirmed this from my bank statement. They cancelled my debit card today when large transitions were attempted from California (I'm Canadian). This is what alerted them. I notified my bank before my departure that I would be in Mexico. I can't stress enough how important this is.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bank account compromised

Sorry to hear that. I've also used that bank lots of times. Was it a chip card ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bank account compromised

I try to avoid using any card in Mexico. After 9 trips i have yet to use any debit card or credit card.

I keep one just for emergency only and thankfully have never had to use it.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Freeport, Illinois
Level Contributor
189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bank account compromised

That is awful!! Was it at the HSBC bank?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bank account compromised

Sounds like the HSBC. It's across the street from the Ultramar ferry.

Good reminder to inform your bank when travelling.

Mentioned in this post
UltraMar Ferry
UltraMar Ferry
1,722 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bank account compromised

We have a separate credit card and also a separate credit union account with a debit card to use while traveling. We only put limited funds in that debit account. Then we take our normal visa as a backup.

They can have their way with the travel accounts and it doesn't mess up our normal accounts.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bank account compromised

This makes me so nervous to use that HSBC ATM, as I had planned. Do you think that the bank has taken care of it?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
514 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bank account compromised

What a terrible thing to happen! I'm just confused about what exactly did happen as far as the 2 transactions at the bank machine. They went through after the OP had left- how does this happen? I vaguely remember a post in this forum a while back about someone accidentally leaving their card in the machine, turn back around and someone who had been lurking behind was then trying to get money with the forgotten card but the person caught them. If a transaction can go through at an ATM after the card is removed, that's pretty scary! I can understand about the charges in California but am I missing something here about how the OP's card # was misused on Isla?

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bank account compromised

Sounds like a false front scanner was placed over the ATM to read the card info. It happened at that same location a few years ago.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bank account compromised

What a bummer!

At all machines I cover the keypad with my other hand or a book and do my pin without looking.

To get an ATM scammed the bad guys need to skim the card AND get your pin.

Usually the pin is recorded with a hidden camera pointed at the keypad. The card numbers are stolen with a device that slips over the card slot.

What a bummer to hear the HSBC bank ATM get hacked. The one at the 7-11 has been hacked in the past but never heard about the ones at the bank getting hacked.

Mike

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
514 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bank account compromised

Thank you leo and mturner for your answers!

I also just saw this post on the islaholics FB page. Someone there also mentioned the false fronts at HSBC a few years ago and another said their bank said not to use HSBC due to high occurance of fraud and they have used CI Bank on Medina with no problems. Others have had no problems.

While I like the idea of the convenience of using the ATM as we need it instead of exchanging for pesos before we leave the U.S. or carrying a lot of cash in any currency, this all makes me leery. Definitely worth looking into to get a separate account/card for traveling.