We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique my restaurant list.....

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Critique my restaurant list.....

So we leave on Friday -- YAY! Suffice to say, we can hardly contain ourselves.

First time on the island. We all love food - (2 adults, 2 teens). I've spent quite some time making my list. Too many to get to in one week -- but if you see any MUST visit or DON'T bother - I'd appreciate it! My mouth is watering....

Breakfast or lunches:

Barlito

French Bistro

Cafe Hildago

Q Bravo

Mango

Rooster

Dinners:

Soggy Peso (Sunday for Ribs) -- BTW - I emailed them to see if our teens can join us and they said no problem.... (many posts said no kids)

Green Verde

Qubano

Lola Valentina

Bally Hoo

Oscars

Limon

La Lomita

Mango

Rolandis

I'll be posting more today, so thanks in advance for all the help and advice.

kansas city
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

On Sunday only, Roosters has biscuits and lobster gravy...just saying.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

Better double check about dinner at Mango Cafe. I don't think they're open for dinner. And for a "feet in the sand and truly local flavor" I'd recommend Velazquez on Medina.

It's not mentioned, but I'd also recommend that you enjoy some time at Casa de los Sueños for Happy Hour. Live music every day from 4 to 7. The teens can swim and use their kayaks or go for a snorkel, while the adults enjoy the sunset with 33 peso Margaritas and/or 20 peso beers.

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

ooohhhh -- just checked out Casa de los Suenos and added it to our list! That looks wonderful. I called and they offer use of the kayaks for free - even for non-guests.

I love Mexico.

Kenai
Level Contributor
680 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

Two of my MUST do dinners are Lolo Lorena (must have reservation) and Olivia (Mediterranean menu). Also I would move Lola Valentina to breakfast (Coconut french toast).

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

You will see why everyone posts about no kids at Soggy when you get there,(there are signs all over that say no kids, and it can get rowdy depending on cliental, but that's up to you.

They probably are ok with teens but that was very good of you to check in advance. ;)

I love Lolo Lorena,& El Varadero, also the market for breakfast.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

I also like Mogagua for breakfast - and the cafes by the public market - cheap & good.

I would do La Lomita's for lunch rather than dinner but that is me.

Maybe Fredy's? Or Brisa's Grill - love their food!

You might find yourself going back to favs or tossing the list out all together. We often have a spot in mind and then on the way, change our minds and eat somewhere else. You will have fun!! :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

"but if you see any MUST visit or DON'T bother"...hmmm...well actually writing a "DON'T bother" name out here would cause quite an uproar lol. :-)

One change I would make on your list is the French Bistro..I like their breakfasts but LOVE their dinners.

Picus is a "MUST" visit for me.

La Lomita...one suggestion is to look at their daily special board - it was 1/2 the price of the items on the menu (ie delicious yucatan pork - 2 big portions of pork, rice and salad was 50 pesos..it was a huge meal).

For a snack, Pita Amore!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

ah . . . always run out of vacation before we run out of restaurants/food to try.

OH - don't forget the marquesitas or gelato in the evenings either. Yumm!! :)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

Don't forget picus for seafood, sunset, & toes in the sand!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Critique my restaurant list.....

There are so many restaurants to choose from, you almost can't go wrong and all of the places on your list have very loyal fans. As a first timer, realize that you will hardly be making a dent in the restaurant list so try not to stress about it. If you are going to have 21 meals, put more than 21 places on your list and anything you select will be making progress and will also leave you with some wiggle room depending on your mood each day and where on the island you happen to find yourself. We like to separate our list into Centro, mid island and south, so that if we are in any particular location and feel hungry we have something in the immediate vicinity that interests us.

One problem we have is that many of our favorites are more lunch places than dinner, so we never have time for al the lunches, especially since we are often out on a dive boat around lunch time. But from your list, we like to have lunch rather than dinner at Qubano because while we LOVE her food, we go just as much for a chance to visit with owner Vivian, who is there during the day. Also, we usually visit Bally Hoo for lunch because it's such a casual place but they are on the water so you would get a good sunset view. If it's really cloudy, head for one of the more inland restaurants and save a waterfront place for a night with a good sunset to watch--just an example of the wiggle room I mentioned.

Lolo Lorena is our favorite restaurant on the island and is quite an experience. However, it is a five-course nouveau cuisine dinner, so you would be the best judge of whether your kids would enjoy it. On one of our visits, there was a 12-year-old girl who loved it, but she had fairly sophisticated tastes and counted Paris amongst her favorite destinations. As mentioned above, you must make reservations in advance because Lolo caters each meal individually.

You are going to love all the food choices Isla affords its visitors. Please come back with a Trip Report and let us know which were your favorites. Enjoy!