We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
148 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

We have been vacationing for a week in the Mayan Riviera for the last 10 years. We have stayed in Tulum, Akumal, and Playa del Carmen. Playa del Carmen has been our favorite but it just got to big and busy. Spent the last 6 months seriously considering Isla Mujeres. Once we decided to try Isla the search was on for a place to stay!

We narrowed our choices down to PA, Ixchel, and Nauti Beach. Choosing Privilege Aluxes was a HOME RUN! I say this with a certain amount of experience over the years staying at several all inclusives and different condos in the region.

Lets start with the most obvious, the location. After exiting the ferry, we knew all we had to do was head three or four blocks north with our carry on luggage. This short walk was very interesting as it was quite busy and the view of the ocean and beaches on the way made us excited to get our vacation started. PA was easy to find and the entrance is actually on a side street. Upon entering we were met buy Reyes with a huge smile, cool face towels, and a glass of wine/champagne. Our luggage was hauled up to our room for us and although I don't remember the gentleman's name he was very accommodating and stayed 5 minutes to show us how everything worked and got us settled in.

We were in a suite deluxe. WOW! Kitchen area, living area, private bedroom, huge bathroom and an awesome very large deck. What more could we ask for? Although we did not choose the AI package we had at our convenience a fridge full of water, beer, soda and snacks for very reasonable prices!

Back to location- The PA had the best beach on the island in regard to width, quality, # of chairs and service. The beach was spotless! Not even the annoying disgusting cigarette butts laying in the sand! The service was excellent, although we weren't wearing the blue AI bracelet, all we had to do was get the attention of a waiter and in minutes we had what ever we wanted from ice cold beverages to awesome guacamole. Prices were very reasonable (about 1/2 of what you'd pay in Florida!) From our beach all we had to do was walk a couple hundred yards north and we would be on the famed north beach. Although the water was stunningly beautiful, here the beaches were narrow and very crowded. Maybe inches between chairs! Lots of fun beach bars though!

A must do on the north end is wade/swim, snorkel near the bridge to the Avalon. The water is chest deep and amazingly clear. If you bring a piece of bread with you you will have 100's of fish following you! Two fun beach bars I remember were Fenix and Tarzan.

Back at PA - they do play the towel game to reserve chairs but there are so many available it's not a problem like it can be at other places. The pools are absolutely awesome. We actually spent a lot of time around the pools as did many others. The pools are super clean, surrounded by very comfortable, padded, lounge chairs. There is a pool bar that really gets going during the late afternoon hours. At the pool bar they always had a very convenient "food of the day" available.

We had breakfast included in the price of our room. What a great deal this was as the breakfast buffet was over whelming! Made to order omelets, fresh fruit, cereals, pancakes, french toast, sausage, bacon, ham, potatoes, juices and wonderful pastries. This alone would have been $30 for the two of us in the US! Service was excellent as I believe PA was nearly sold out this week! All it took was eye contact and a nod and your coffee cup was filled. Food and coffee were decent quality and service was excellent.

The morning of our 3rd day we were told to pack up our things we were being upgraded! We did not ask for this and even tried to turn it down until we were shown pics of the Platinum suite they wanted to move us to! OMG!!! it was a two story suite with a private pool (not tub but pool that would easily hold 6 adults!) decks were massive and on two levels. Our first night in this suite we invited 5 other couples up to the large deck overlooking the ocean to view the sun set! It was awesome!

Any time we needed supplies. beer, snacks etc all we had to do was walk a block in 3 locations! We laughed about the prices! two six packs of beer was $8!!!!

We also rented a golf cart for 5 days and really enjoyed touring the island! Fun! I have written reviews for the following bar/restaurants that you can read if you'd like on the restaurant section of TA. We loved Oscars(pizza and garlic knots and the best mango margaritas ever!)

Soggy Peso (fun fun fun bar with sunday BBQ night and yummy STRONG margaritas).

Barlitos (panninis and cocktails at a beautiful bar with an infinity type pool)

Jaxes sports bar (right across the street where we watched our be-loved badgers, Great burgers, guac, chicken nachos and buckets of ice cold beer specials)

Hildago street - about 2 blocks away. This street is about 6 blocks long and is nothing but bars, restaurants, and shops. Definitely something for everyone. We enjoyed walking over at about 5 pm getting a table on the street and enjoyed the happy hour specials and the great people watching.

Places we and friends we met liked in Hildago area included Rolandi's for pizza and vodka sauce shrimp pasta.

Olivias for something different - Caribbean food. I had the house special, chicken and olives but I'm not sure i liked it?

Nash's - fun bar!

Lola Valentino's - two friends had breakfast there every day! This place was also packed for lunch and dinner every day so wish we would have tried it.

Very quaint place we discovered on a side street near the ferry was Rene Renees. This should be you go to lunch place!!!! The nicest older man and his wife have 5 tables and have amazing food! Chicken rice soup with a basket of fresh bread, grilled quesadillas oozing with cheese, chicken and beans. You will also get pico, salsa and a hot green sauce and chips. Salsa/pico was the best we found on the island! The bill will make you laugh - ridiculously cheap but soooooo good!

Once again, it was great to do all of this and have the PA so near by. Every time we returned we were met with big smiles and we were always greeted - kind of like returning home!

We really enjoyed having the golf cart and went all over the island. On the east side (big ocean side) of the island we found a really neat bed and breakfast with a sign "beer so cold it will make your teeth hurt" of course we had to stop and when we walked in and saw the neat pool and unbelievable view we had to have more then one ice cold beer!

PA also has two very nice hot tubs. One is very private and sits behind the work out room and the other is adjacent to the pool. Late one afternoon we sat in this one with a buch of other people and just had a blast.

We were impressed the grounds and the security. Even tried to bring friends who were staying elsewhere up to see our room but this did not go over very well. One of the couple we hung out with did the all inclusive and they were impressed with the quality of the 3 different dining choices they had, Satay (Asian), the Buffet, and the beach bar that at night was set up for eloquent dining on the beach. Nice to have the option of all inclusive or room and breakfast only. I hope this choice never disappears! I would guess this property is no older then 10 years or so so everything is in very good shape.

We were worried about the beach being across the road but it really isn't. It's across an access road and is truly a 1 minute walk from the pools.

We returned home just 5 days ago and I wish I was still there! We will definitely make a return visit soon and often if they do not change their reasonable prices and options.

If you want service, cleanliness, choices, perfect beach, great pools, location, location, location, value, and no crowds or lines then PA is definitely the place for you!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
816 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Yep. This is why we are returning to PA for our 3rd time.

Great report, sounds like a really relaxing time. I wish I was there now!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,599 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Nice report! I am not an AI person, but I have some friends that loved it at PA. The beach area is very lovely - we spent one day with them there, and it was nice.

Was delighted to see you found Rene-Renee - I have only had breakfast there, which was delicious and oh so affordable as you said. But my fondest memory of the owner actually took place a few years before I went there for a meal . . .I was leaving Isla (you can tell by the look on people's faces when they are dragging their luggage that they are leaving!) He was sweeping in front of the restaurant and he greeted me as we strolled past - and said "Don't worry - you will be back!". And that was so true - wasn't our first trip, and Lord willing, won't be our last. Now I will have to go try their pico as that sounds yummy.

Glad you enjoyed Isla - such a delightful slice of paradise! :)

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

We are doing Breakfast Only at the PA in May...after reading your review, I'm even more excited. I'm glad to hear that we will still have things in our fridge even though we won't be all inclusive. Its nice to have that choice to grab a soda or beer, just pay separately:)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,469 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Great trip report; thank you! How wonderful that you were upgraded. Would love to have stayed in suite with my own dipping pool :)

ITA with you on the beach at PA. So much better than crowded Playa Norte. And I also think the café on the beach is very reasonably priced for what you get. And I also agree with you on pricing compared to US. I always smile when people say how Isla has gotten expensive, how they’ve raised prices, blah blah blah, when all you have to do is think of what it’d cost you in Florida or any other resort area. Where in the US can you get a mixed drink or a glass of wine for 5 or 6 dollars? Or a shrimp and steak skewers dish with guacamole served to your lounger overlooking the ocean for 15 like at Café del Mar?

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Thanks for your trip report. We stayed at PA AI in January for two weeks and enjoyed it so much. Loved being so close to town that we could walk there and enjoy eating or shopping or both. You will be back. Come February we will be back for our third trip. See you.

Kenai
Level Contributor
668 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

We have also LOVED the PA. There have been complaints from people used to the HUGE all inclusives over the food, this, that, the other. So its refreshing to hear a former AI traveler compliment the PA experience ;). Nice that they upgraded you (and very surprising) considering they were at capacity. We tried to book a suite deluxe back in December for end of Feb beginning of March and they couldn't squeeze us in.. So I KNOW they were full. For future trips: Friend them on Facebook so you get their thursday lunch time special notifications. The special room rates only last a couple hours around noon.. And we now book direct after researching room rates on expedia, etc. We have gotten better deals as a returning guest booking direct. We also love the breakfast buffet...and HATE the towel game. The PA does not support saving chairs with towels.. So if you leave your towel on a chair there, don't be surprised to find people in your chairs when you roll out of bed at noon... (not YOU specifically, but anybody). We watched a man collect up all the towels at the pool and toss them in a pile...

We didn't stick around to watch the fireworks... We prefer the beach..

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
148 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Thanks for the facebook heads up!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

I'm so excited I can't stand it!! Staying there in May. First time to the Island.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,469 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as we all do :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
148 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report- Privileges Aluxes and several restaurants

link for 194 pics

…photobucket.com/user/…202014