We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Question

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passport Question

We will be on Isla 6/27 thru 7/3. Two of my daughters have passports that expire at the end of July 2014. Do we need to renew them before going?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Question

I would. You will get all kinds and a million answers here, the thing is you "may" be denied entry if your passport is not valid for 6 months after your entry into Mexico even if that's not the official law.

The thing is , usually your entry visa will be marked for 180 days , now that really doesn't work if your passport expires before the 180 days is up.

york pa
Level Contributor
615 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Question

There has to be 6months left till expiration for Mexico that was a law that jus passed I just googled it yesterday

Edited: 21 March 2014, 00:57
Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Question

Airlines can have their own policies so make sure that you check with them before making a purchase.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Question

Thanks, that's what I thought. Ready to book and just realized that two of them were under 16 the last time we were in Mexico so they expire in 5 years instead of 10...uggghhh. Can I still book through the airlines as long as we have renewed passports when we depart?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Question

Yes, you don't need passport numbers to book tickets, so you are fine.

rhode island
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Question

Made get up to check to be sure LOL were good

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,692 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Question

ytharm

Can you share the website for this new law that passed

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Question

At a quick glance it does look like 6 months is required to Mexico. Travel.state.gov

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Question

But if you look at a MEXICAN government website such as here: embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/index.php… ..... it makes it clear that there is no minimum requirement of passport validity.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Question

I would just get the passports. Make sure the spelling is exactly the same for the names on the new ones. If the names are even slightly different from the ones on the ticket, they may deny boarding.

I know I have been asked for passport numbers and expiration dates when booking flights but I don't know if they are required when booking. My last several flights were booked with US Bank's Agent. I think they are associated with Travelocity.