We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach vendors gone????

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Beach vendors gone????

I read in wentcoastals blog that the temporary vendors on medina are now gone. Does this include the beach vendors? Please tell me no. I need my paletas, pepitas, fresh oranges, etc. I can't imagine playa Norte without them. I love having snacks delivered to me on the beach. Is there someone there now that can tell me this isn't true! Some of these vendors have become my friends over the yrs. say it ain't so. What about marquesitas?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,996 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach vendors gone????

I agree, Jetskigirl, that'd be a shame. I'm hoping it's just temporarily and on Medina itself. Hopefully Wentcoastal will be along to tell us more.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach vendors gone????

There is quite a discussion about this on another Isla board. I understood that the vendors without the proper permits are gone. I don't understand all the politics involved with what is happening, but I know there are a lot of vendors from Chiapas that have appeared in the last couple years. I guess we will see what the fallout is. If people obtain and pay for the proper permit will they be allowed to work again? We will have to wait and see. I do understand the complaint. If I was a vendor and had my proper paperwork and others didn't I would be upset also.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,996 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach vendors gone????

Thanks, Wyobean. I went to read the blog but I don't understand enough Spanish. I had a feeling it would be the ones without permits. So we can assume that the other vendors who do have permits are allowed to stay? And do you know if vendors like Maria, who don't really have a stand or table, also required to have a permit?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach vendors gone????

TNY...I honestly don't know...so many things here are a political game. It is very hard as outsiders for us to understand it all. What may not seem right to us may be right to them. I found this post....but, I don't know the source. I think it may have been from the paper.

The municipal agencies Comercio en Vía Pública, Fiscalización, and Zofemat conducted an operation that removed more that a dozen informal vendors from the public walkway. They were assisted by the municipal police. Some of the sellers had vendors permits, but the director of Enforcement (Fiscalization), Jeorge Mejia, said they cannot vend on public ways, and if they do, their permits can be cancelled.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 21:41
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,996 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach vendors gone????

Thanks, Wyobean. Totally agree that the underlying politics are difficult for us to comprehend. I'm sure it's even difficult for the locals, lol.

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
269 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach vendors gone????

I was wondering about this too! As jetskigirl said, "What about marquesitas?" I always get one in the evening in Centro where the artist fair is…would this include all those vendors then? We are headed down on Sunday, so we'll see.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
351 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach vendors gone????

No, it doesn't include the market square vendors who set up across from the grocery store in the evening, or during the artist's fair. This is in direct response to the shopkeepers complaints for years about the street vendors and beach vendors who pay no taxes and have no overhead, but draw business away from the shopkeepers from the daytrippers.

I'm not giving an opinion as to whether it is right or wrong; it's a political issue that is out of our control. A similar issue is going on right now (and has been going on for years as well) between the taxi union and the golf cart businesses. A few weeks ago the police stepped in to start checking unregulated golf carts and now they are on to the street and beach vendors. Just another step in the ongoing changes to Isla that have been occurring as tourism has increased over the last two decades.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,996 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach vendors gone????

Unfortunately it seems like the beach vendors have been removed too :( This post is from the islamujeres info board http://tinyurl.com/lohf6oh

"The news came down today that the vendors have been removed from the beach as of 2:00 pm today. It appears the they want to stop vendors from bothering the tourists in an attempt to make the Island my attractive for would be vacationers. From the small amount of information we were able to get today, they want the vendors to be in store spaces where they can be taxed and maybe to fill the new spaces in the new soon to be open ferry terminal."

So that means no Maria, no "Cocos frios" man, no paletas, no Pedro with his wonderful smile and necklaces... I hope this isn't true. I can see on Medina but on the beach? To me that's all part of what I love about Isla. Hope Wentcoastal will come along to say this isn't true :( :(

Edited: 22 March 2014, 12:53
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
859 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach vendors gone????

We have had the same battle in DC as numerous food trucks came on the scene. The licensed restaurants complained that the trucks were not licensed, not paying taxes and complying with health codes, and were blocking traffic. Food trucks responded that the restaurants were just trying to squelch competition. After a lot of back and forth, the food trucks are now allowed, but only if they have a certain mobile license, pay taxes and park in designated areas of town. Good compromise for all- I hope Isla can find a similar solution. We were looking forward to trying all the interesting street and beach options.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach vendors gone????

Today, many of the beach vendors including the Tuggui ice cream bikecarts, and the Chiapas women and young ones are along Lopez Mateos. I also hope a fair resolution can be found. Everyone of these dear Islenos deserves to make a living.