We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

So here is my dilemma …

My flight lands in Cancun at 2:32pm.

My boyfriend's flight lands at 7:42pm

So we are talking about roughly 5 hours to spend at the airport?

Should I just head over to Isla Mujeres on my own? Or can I go somewhere else nearby the airport to hang out have lunch and some margaritas that is safe for a female? Or suck it up and stay at the airport?

I've been to Cancun several times but I usually try to dodge the timeshare folks and get outta the airport as fast as possible and poolside as quickly as possible. I don't even know if there is a bar or restaurant inside the airport to hang out at? This will be his first time at the Cancun airport, he's well traveled and can speak a little Spanish so I'm not too worried about him.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,874 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

Head to Isla yourself. Get unpacked, relax, head to a beach bar by the ferry and wait

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,560 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

Yes, yes, yes. Head to Isla right away. 5 hours is a long wait and it could easily end up being longer. I have friends who were traveling last week with arrival times two hours apart that turned into three hours and they said that it was just too long. They wished they hadn't waited.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

I agree on getting to Isla on your own, you will do your fair amount of hanging at airports on one day (or at least thats what I feel when I have to be on one just for my own flight). And as said it might be more that 5 hours. Maybe head to Isla and hang around there, check some place you might go to have dinner with him once he arrives. Also you'll arive there with day light and by the time he gets there it will be night, so it might be nicer for him that you meet him at the ferry as suggested and then you can lead him straight to the hotel (not because he might get lost, but it would be nice that you already know a bit of the place so you can lead the way). Juat my thoughts. Also I wouldn't be concerned with safety so I think you'll be fine wandering around a few hours by yourself.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

I would get to Isla ASAP! 5 hours of vacation time is to much to waste sitting in a airport!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,177 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

Yup, another vote for head to Isla on your own.

Hanging around airports isn't much fun and, as previously noted, it could be longer than 5 hours.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,350 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

Agree with all others. Five hours at that airport is just way too long. Best to meet him at the ferry on the Isla side :)

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

Agree, go to Isla and meet him there. You can relax, have a drink and be in the Isla mode when he arrives. Plus food and drinks at the airport are really expensive.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

If it was a shorter wait I'd suggest you come over together but 5 hours is way too long for anybody to hang out in an airport bar. Go over yourself, get checked into your hotel, and meet him at the ferry dock when he arrives.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

I agree with the others, there is no good reason to wait in Cancun airport for 5 hours or more, What I wouldn't give for 5 more hours in Isla right now! You could do alot, enjoy!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wait at the airport or go on my own ...

OK! Looks like everyone agrees that I'll be meeting my bf on Isla with a nice cold cerveza! :)

Now that I'll be traveling solo to Isla and its my first time to Isla would you recommend I do Best Day or a private taxi? I think I am going to skip ADO buses because like all females I travel with lots of luggage (yes I love options!)

Thank you for all the information …