We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

We have never been to IM before. Looking for a smaller hotel without a bunch of noisy kids...middle of road type. So, nothing fancy but not total 'budget' either. Must have a decent pool. Read the reviews and researched pictures etc. Any input or tips for me? Thanks.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Haven't been to Ixchel, surely others will chime in. I liked Posada del Mar, stayed in a room in the new building, close to the pool which is very nice and Romy's palapa bar is always a lot of fun. The pool there is a graduated on which is very nice for me or if you have small children. Enjoy whichever you choose and be sure and rent a golf cart for at least one day.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Rocamar.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Or Cabanas Maria del Mar for a first trip.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
122 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Have never stayed at Posada so can't comment other than it is not on the beach - beach is across the street which would not work for us. Have stayed at Ixchel last 3 years and have trip booked for November there. Ixchel is right on north beach with free lounge chairs/umbrellas, etc. We like the ocean front units with wrap around balconies and the extras that a condo unit offers such as full kitchen, living room, etc. Staff at Ixchel has always been very pleasant, no issues with cleanliness or amenities. Both properties allow convenience of easy walk to everything downtown.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Yeah I know about PDM being across the street. Stayed at many places like that on Cozumel. It doesn't bother us.

A living area would be nice. Kitchen doesn't interest us. As long as we have a mini fridge. Ixchel looks very nice.

Will look at the other suggestions also. Thanks ya'll.

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

We stayed at Posada del Mar recently and it was a bit of a letdown. Not very friendly and rooms were "cold" if that makes sense. Bar was decent, as was pool and restaurant but we are not going back.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

We were at PdM a couple of weeks ago. It was fine- OK rooms, nice pool with loungers, great location. I like the beach across the street, and didn't find it too far at all. More laid back, and sometimes calmer waters than Playa Norte, and a great place to watch the sunset.

If I had unlimited budget I'd stay at Ixchel, but for the price, I was pretty happy at PdM and would stay there again.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

I loved Ixchel but did not find the pools great. Huge ledges for loungers take up most of them so the actual pool itself is very small. One has no loungers at all so you have no where to put your things unless you want them with you in the water, or leave it on the walkway next to the pool. The other had loungers lining the path to the beach so it was nonstop traffic just a few inches from you. Plus when we were there it was filled with little kids. Normally we are pool people but we didn't use the pools at all. OTOH, it is a nicer hotel than PDM. But then you pay a lot more too.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 13:08
up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

Posada has had 3 building additions over the years. The oldest is basic and newest is very nice. It has a pool, small restaurant and bar. Depending on season will be less than half price of Ixchel condos.

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ichel Beach Hotel or Posada Del Mar?

I've stayed at both PDM and Ixchel and like them both. I especially like Ixchel for its kitchen and the suite layout. But it is one of the largest, if not the largest, hotel on Isla. And you're likely to see a lot of kids at either, especially if you hit them during a school vacation week.

I am going to second the recommendation for Rocamar, where I've stayed my last two visits. It is a smaller place, has a great pool and deck area overlooking the ocean (no beach, though), minifridge, coffee in the morning, unbeatable views, and it is very quiet, except for the crashing waves. I love the location more and more--walkable to everything, but just far enough away from most Centro bars, restaurants, and shops to give you a sense of being in a neighborhood. Easy walk to/from the ferry, too.