We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cenotes & Underwater Museum this weekend

Long Beach...
11 posts
Save Topic
Cenotes & Underwater Museum this weekend

Hi!

We are taking our first trip to Isla Mujeres this Saturday, & I need some help. :) Two things that I must do are visit the Underwater Museum & jump into some cenotes.

For the cenotes, are there any directly off of Isla, or is it best to travel to Cancun for the day? Ideally, I was hoping to rent a car near the ferry one morning, and drive to Playa Del Carmen & Tulum for the day & visit cenotes & other cites along the way. I need advice if this is possible to do in one day? We do not want to stay the night any where other than our rental in Isla. Also, how will we find cenotes? Are there signs on the road, etc.. I prefer to have a fun independent day trip, moving at our own speed, rather that pay for a group tour.

For the Underwater Museum, has anyone taken a diving or snorkeling tour directly off Isla? Can you recommend a good place to go when we arrive to set up a tour?

Finally, THANK YOU!!!! All advice is appreciated :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cenotes & Underwater Museum this weekend

I have been to the Ik Kil Cenote - was fabulous! Was part of a tour to Chichen Itza.

Several dive/snorkel businesses will take you to the Underwater museum - just ask. :)

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cenotes & Underwater Museum this weekend

You would be surprised at how reasonable the prices are for a private tour. For this coming summer, we designed a day with CARM that includes Tulum, Akumal (sea turtles) and Yal- Ku lagoon and it was not at all expensive and we can move at our own pace throughout the day. You could easily design your own day with cenotes and then you don't have to waste time getting the car and can get straight to enjoying your day. Even if you decide to drive yourself, look at the tours for ideas of what fits in a good day trip.

3. Re: Cenotes & Underwater Museum this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:16