We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best fish and shrimp tacos

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best fish and shrimp tacos

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere and I didn't see it. I am bringing my wife for her birthday next week for our first visit to Isla. We LOVE fish and shrimp tacos. Where are the best located?

Thanks for your help.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Depends on how you like them. For breaded and fried fish tacos everyone raves about Bally Hoo. I prefer them grilled so I like Miramar. For shrimp tacos WIBS on this forum swears by Acantillado at Punta Sur. And you can't beat the stunning view. But tacos are like guacamole. Everyone has their favorites and for the most part, they're all pretty much the same: good :)

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

I had a reply but (as usual) TNY said it all and said it eloquently. It is ALL a matter of taste. My DH practically LIVES on them when on Isla, and he prefers the unbreaded ones at Compadres, with Mininos a close second. You will not want for great grub during your holiday. I dream about the shrimp and octopus ceviche. Happy Birthday to your wife! She will never forget this one!

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Thank you -

The unbreaded kind is what we are after.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

I had some great shrimp tacos for lunch at Sunset grill.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Acantilado...the first time I went they were the greatest shrimp tacos I’d ever had anywhere up to that point (unbreaded juicy with delicious grilled peppers and onions). After that not so much as they’d changed them and while they're still good they just aren't anything special. So I’ve been back on the hunt for the best ones again lol.

I'd still go to Acantilado for a wobbly drink, maybe something to eat but mostly to enjoy the gorgeous view. :-)

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Is the shrimp served in Isla mostly fresh or sourced locally? I have read that a lot of the shrimp as well as the lobster certain times of the year is mostly frozen. I know the lobster can be sourced locally, when are they 'in season'?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Xajiks..lobster season ends at the end of February I believe and doesn't start up again until July maybe..I haven't been on the island when it's been IN season lol. I don't know about the shrimp but I've seen a big shrimp boat lots of times so I think it's fresh?

West Kelowna
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Another vote for Compadres, and unbreaded shrimp. A lot of the shrimp is brought in from Campeche

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

Straying a bit off-topic, certain shrimp preparations in Isla restaurants only use frozen, pre-breaded shrimp--coconut shrimp, for example. I've eaten plenty of it, but the question of sourcing did come up.

Back on-topic, another vote for the shrimp tacos at Miramar.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 18:02
Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best fish and shrimp tacos

We loved the fish tacos at Bally Hoo the best, put a little of Habenero sauce on them and Mmmmmmm, but for unbreaded ones Minino's was next in line and the coconut shrimp at Minino's was excellent, they were huge.