We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current exchange rate -usd

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
502 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
current exchange rate -usd

I just ordered pesos from Citibank. I got the rate of $1usd = 12.33 pesos. Its too late now, but Im wondering if this was a good rate? I went on xe.com and they had it listed at over 13pesos to the dollar. I figure if we need more money while there, I'll get just as good of a rate at the atm, or better?

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: current exchange rate -usd

See post 1 from wyobean..she provided rates from April 3 to give you an idea. ATMs would be the best rate but I wouldn't expect to get a higher rate than the XE rate.

tripadvisor.ca/…57289717

Alplaus, New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: current exchange rate -usd

I just picked up my pesos for next week's trip , and I got 12.80 today from the business center at my local airport. I just notify them a few days prior of how much I want and its avail for pick up right at the airport. Took less than 10 min to exchange.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: current exchange rate -usd

That is interesting Charlene...were there any fees? That sounds like a better deal than exchanging here. Not quite as good as the ATM, but some people may be more comfortable going that route. Of course my home airport has 6 gates and no business center, but if you live close to a major airport it may work.

Alplaus, New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: current exchange rate -usd

they charged 1% fee of the total amt exchanged. I used to exchange on Isla until I got stung w/ scam to the tune of $800 on ATM after I was already on the plane back.. Had my boarding pass to prove purchases weren't mine.also happened to another friend traveling with me but not until 3 days later after we got back. Started getting charges from Cancun City on the cards.We both used the same ATM at HSBC but at different times on the same day. Figured that there was probably a skimmer on it that we didnt notice.Thought we were safe with the swipe kind.. but not any more. Just a better piece of mind now..IMO

Edited: 09 April 2014, 22:50
up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: current exchange rate -usd

I see a lot of posts about cards being compromised, so why not cash? I exchange at banks or cambios and have never had a problem. The exchange rates seem to be competitive unless you were exchanging large amounts.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: current exchange rate -usd

We believe in equality at CDLS. You stop by in the island and we will give you a peso for every dollar you want to exchange. It doesn't get fairer than 1 for 1!*

*not an actual offer or policy

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: current exchange rate -usd

Well, berniep we did when we came for 2-3 weeks, but it is just not feasible or smart to carry enough cash for 5 months. The ATM at CIBanco works for us. Hopefully that will continue to be the case.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: current exchange rate -usd

We've done both--ordered pesos in advance or simply used the ATMs. It depends what your bank's rates are, and you have to factor in all fees (for either method) to determine what the actual cost is to you. Bank of America does not charge for pesos, but their rate is lower than an ATM, at least before ATM fees. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the convenience of having my pesos up front and for a lower security risk, but you can figure how much those benefits cost you by running the numbers on both methods (including fees) for the exact amount you exchange. Of course, you would have to know what ATM fees you would incur, and every bank has their own policies.

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: current exchange rate -usd

I was just quoted from the travel exchange facility at DFW airport at a rate of only 11.5 pesos per dollar. I'm going to see if I can find a better rate.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: current exchange rate -usd

CIBanco is still 12.1. Things myst be pretty steady right now. Your 11.5 is not very good.