We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Vendors

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Topic
Mobile Vendors

Reading Por Esto today and it seems the vendors who have been relocated are upset about their new accommodations and concurrent drop in income. In response, they are not happy, and demand some sort of action that will increase their daily take. This, all with the assumption that I read the article correctly.

Any reaction to this?

Edited: 11 April 2014, 18:07
Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Vendors

I know this is not the classic "What time was it there an hour ago?" kind of question, but it is a point of interest and discussion ...... I think (I've been wrong before .......[surprise, surprise]).

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Vendors

As much as I love the vendors (especially the ones on the beach..life is really good when you can just sit and have a popsicle, coconut drink, pepitas and do your shopping without moving lol), I do think that there are a lot of rules/red tape/regulations (whatever they're called) that we don't know about. I wish them all the best and hope that there's a mutually agreeable solution in the near future.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 18:31
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Vendors

I read the interpretation on Rhonda's blog...I think you are right. But, it also basically said that the government is not backing down on this. I haven't gone to look at the structure they are supposedly building to house them. I am just hoping that this whole thing doesn't backfire. We rarely eat on Hildago, but went to Sancochos last week and were approached by 6 different vendors in the 50 min. or so we were there eating. I had no problem with the vendors on the beach, but I do not appreciate being interrupted while I am eating and trying to have a conversation. I have no desire to second guess or get involved in this government/political situation, but it will be bad if vendors are allowed to disturb restaurant patrons.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,655 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Vendors

I pretty much said the same thing when I heard that after they moved them off the beach, they were lined up on Mateo Lopez. It's one thing having them walk on the beach, which to me is nonintrusive than for me have to walk a gauntlet on my way somewhere. So yes, I can see it backfiring. I know a lot of people didn't like them but to me they added to the charm of the beach. I wish they'd let them get permits then allow them back on the beach.

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Vendors

True, there are lots of rules and red tape, but I feel that the mobiles should not enjoy the same (or better) opportunities than those who are paying rent, utilities, taxes, etc.

And to lobby for this kind of equality just isn't fair to the merchants who have gone far beyond what these folks are willing to do.

Beach vendors are cute, but there is a fundamental conflict with established businesses downtown .... not sure how that can be rectified.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,655 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Vendors

Some may compete with businesses such as the jewelry and pareo sellers but I don't see how the coconut guy or Maria with her pepitas or the popcorn guy is competing with anyone. It's not like I'm going to get off my butt when I'm on the beach and go searching for pumpkin seeds or popcorn in town, even if such stores existed, lol.

Edited: 11 April 2014, 19:56
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,519 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Vendors

"We rarely eat on Hildago, but went to Sancochos last week and were approached by 6 different vendors in the 50 min. or so we were there eating. I had no problem with the vendors on the beach, but I do not appreciate being interrupted while I am eating and trying to have a conversation. "

A great example of what you DON'T want to have to deal with on vacation, at least for myself.

We have had this happen in many places in Mexico, usually at beach restaurants but also at off-beach locations too, and I find it really annoying-especailly if we are sitting INSIDE a restaurant.

In Mazatlan apparently timeshare sharks will actually come and sit down at the table with you! I can't imagine any restaurant putting up with their patrons being pestered like this where I live.

Allowing a certain number of licensed beach vendors and consistently enforcing it is not a bad thing. Turn a blind eye to it and/or having a free-for-all. and their numbers can quickly spiral out of control. We avoid those beaches like the plague.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Vendors

I loved the beach vendors. To be interrupted during dinner is not what I will appreciate. I will make my impression in May when I arrive but I will most probably be seeking dinning along the waterfront.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile Vendors

Sounds like that is not immune either. Just visited with a friend of mine who ate at Picus the other night and some vendors came in there, too. I know that if it happens to me again I will address it with the manager/owner.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile Vendors

Each time I've been at Picus (and it's usually a daily event when I'm there) there's always been vendors that wander in and around the tables. I just say no thank you and they move on (or I shop lol). :-)