We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Urbana, Ohio
12 posts
Save Topic
Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

I am hoping someone can shed some light on my ferry confusion. We are arriving in Cancun this Saturday and heading to Isla Mujeres to Privilige Aluxes. After reading the Ultramar reviews here on Tripadvisor, I am confused by which Ferry dock I should be going to. I have booked my transportation from the airport to Puerto Juarez, I see it's the cheapest of the 3 docks in Cancun according to their website but they do have the price listed in pesos and the other docks are USD prices (I hadn't planned on getting pesos until I got to Isla Mujeres. I would like to buy a round trip ticket but after reading the reviews it seems their is a chance I might not get the same ferry back. Some of the reviews say that your ride will try to drop you off at a certain dock to get commission, and some say to take the Tortugas dock over Juarez and vise versa. Can someone tell me the difference? One thing to keep in mind is that we will need to take an early ferry back to Cancun (USA transfers is scheduled to pick us up at 7:00 at the Juarez dock). I would like to take the most cost effective, safe ride. I thought I had it all squared away until I started reading the reviews... Thanks and I hope I'm not over thinking/over planning...

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

You have the right ferry. The transfer companies all take you to PJ. Just buy a round trip ticket on the Ultramar. The other ports/docks are in the hotel zone.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

Playa Tortuga is in the hotel zone of Cancun so unless you're staying in a hotel there you have no reason to take that ferry. The Gran Puerto ferry dock in Puerto Juarez is what you want. Your transfer company will take you there by default anyway and pick you up there.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
845 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

At the Puerta Juarez UltraMar Ferry terminal you can purchase your tickets with either US dollars or Mexican Pesos. It's a great ride over. Be sure and sit up top so you can see the fantastic clear blue water.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
927 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

Thanks for this info, didn't realize i could pay with US dollars! :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

They will take your USD, but you lose in the end - pesos are a better value. :)

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

You can pay with us dollars or exchange dollars to peso right at the ferry dock

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

You can also pay with your Visa card!

Milford, NH
Level Contributor
381 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

I was just about ready to ask this same question as I was getting confused with all the different ports mentioned on the UltraMar page.

bernie p mentioned I can exchange to pesos at the ferry dock, is there an ATM at the ferry dock or one in the Cancun airport that I can use once we land?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

Yes, airport has ATM and there are two ATMs at the ferry dock. One inside and one outside the store across from where you buy your tickets.

Milford, NH
Level Contributor
381 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confusing Ultramar review, Puerto Juarez or Playa Tortugas?

Great - thanks. 2 1/2 more weeks - I can't wait, I really need this vacation!!!

Although i do believe that everyone needs and should take their fair share of vacations....

Carpe Vaca!!!