We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
164 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

Our flight gets into CUN at 10:30pm on a Thursday in June. I know we'll be cutting it close for the 11:30 ferry. We will do carry on and book a private transfer to speed things up. In reading about the ferries to isla I came across something about a later ferry from the old Puerto Juarez but am not sure how updated the info was. Does anyone know anything about this ferry? Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

Being that the Ultramar ferry is the quickest and most reliable . . . if I couldn't make the Ultramar, I would plan to stay in Cancun that night. Good luck!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

I don't know much about Magana except that I wouldn't take it as it's all indoor lol. I didn't think Magana ran as late as Ultramar? And I'm thinking that even if there's was a midnight time, that you may be cutting it pretty close.

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

Wow .... given a choice for an Island Cruise, I would choose the old from-the-hotel-zone ferry.

It was really a neat trip, not hurried, and, well, an adventure. Cheap, too.

Back then it used to dock at the Avalon dock (long since gone), but I guess it huddles along with the rest of the ferries these days.

I have absolutely no idea of when/if/from what planet it runs.

That's part of the adventure.

But I do recall hustling down the pier with my lady and a coupla Coronas and just making it .....

Edited: 17 April 2014, 19:22
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,259 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

I don't think they're looking for a cruise, they're trying to get to Isla late at night. The hotel zone ferry is now also an Ultramar and they stop early, around 4:30. The latest ferry from Gran Puerto is at 11:30 and even the old Magana ferry is around the same time, maybe 10 minutes later.

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

Ok, the official info is there.

Still, there's the memory .......and maybe you can do it again, sorta.....

(Isn't this all about the nirvana of Isla?)

Edited: 17 April 2014, 19:33
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

If you are at risk of losing a nights lodging on Isla if you miss the ferry, I would suggest dropping that first night and staying on the mainland the first night. No stress.

Either a place like Courtyard Marriott or a hotel in the general area of the Cancun bus station.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

I know as of last year the Magna Ferry ran their final boat out of Puerto Cancun at 12:30am.. I've flown into Cancun on a late night flight like yours a few of times and usually it's smooth sailing through Immigration/Customs, but you never know until you are actually there. If everything went like clockwork you could probably make the last Magna ferry (if it is still running). I would have a backup plan in case your flight gets in a little late of you get held up a bit at the airport. There are cheap hotels in Cancun near the airport and near Puerto Juarez where you could crash for the night and not have to stress about missing the last boat. Grab some breakfast in the morning and then head over to Isla at your leisure.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

Just a thought that I had, is, that you might just want to get there or be in a hurry to get there but a big part of the fun for me is the crossing and seeing the gorgeous blue ocean with the music man on the roof of Ultramar.

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

You're on vacation.

You've landed.

You've got reservations somewhere on Isla.

You've got the bucks/pesos to deal with whatever happens, or you wouldn't be here.

Go With The Flow.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 20:15
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: later ferry from old Puerto Juarez?

See if you can verify the Magana ferry schedule here

Transportes Maritima Magana

From the U.S. and Canada: 011-52 (998) 877 0618 and 877 0382

From Isla Mujeres: (998) 877-0254/ 877-0088

From the Mainland including Cancun: 877-0618 and 877-0382

E-Mail: tmmturismo@prodigy.net.mx

Source:

cancun-discounts.com/…contact

Edited: 17 April 2014, 22:29