We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple more whale shark questions.....

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
A couple more whale shark questions.....

It looks like "onislamujeres" dive shop is a little bit of a walk from downtown. I know Isla isn't that big but is that a comfortable walk from Plaza Almendros carrying snorkel stuff in the a.m.? I don't want to start our day off wrong by making my daughter sweaty/irritable before we even get there :) Also, there are not many things worse than a full bladder on a bumpy boat so I am glad they have a potty. What are they like on a small boat like that? And finally......do you eat much in the morning? I know they have a continental breakfast, but do you recommend eating before the boat ride? I don't usually have any seasickness issues. I have taken the Contoy tour with Captain Tony without any problems. I'm guessing this will be similar? Muchas Gracias. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

I worked on boats for years watching tourists get seasick because they thought a full stomach would make them ill and would show up starving. Eat! It's better to have something in there. 3 best ways to prevent seasickness is to be fed, rested and have clothing that will keep you warm. I froze through our entire whaleshark day. I was longing for a waterproof jacket as we were getting splashed by waves.

Haven't seen that particular company's fleet but toilets on boats are usually a small box in front of the wheel you climb into. Not the most comfy but a godsend when you gotta go!

I think that company is at Oscars Marina? Take a cab....

Edited: 27 April 2014, 13:17
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

I get seasick and I agree with gatine...eat something. Also I would be prepared for seasickness. I have to take something, but you might look for the thread about ginger ale. Some good info in it.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

You'll want to take a cab (or golf cart). Their head is just as gatine describes, a small area below that is just enough to get the job done, but better than nothing. They will offer you seasickness medication, which I recommend (I never get seasick but took them up on it anyway--why let a special day get ruined?). I definitely prefer to have at least a little something in my stomach, such as a muffin and coffee, while Michele prefers not to eat. Again, I concur with gatine--to me, an empty stomach will just churn while a little something in it will settle it down. Plus, hey--free muffin.

It also helps to sit near the middle of the boat, not the very bow or stern (picture a see-saw: the ends move up and down a lot more than the middle). Look out at the horizon, not down at the passing water. Try to sit where you are not breathing fumes from the engine. And if you do feel a bit queasy by the time you get to the whale sharks, remember that by getting into the water you will most likely feel much better--it gets you off that rocking boat.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

We did the whaleshark tour with Jorge & OnInslaMujeres last summer and it was wonderful!

Yes, cab it (or golfcart) to get to the dock. We took a cab because when we were done and anchored in Playa Norte, we just walked ashore to get to our hotel (which was near Playa Norte.)

DO accept their (included) light breakfast and motion-sickness med.

The toilet on the Anastasia was basically just a primitive seat down below, but a very WELCOME primitive seat down below. I couldn't imagine going on that long of a trip with a head.

Jorge and Diane will take care of you!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

Good point, fotodude--if you cab it you can just walk back to Plaza Almendros from Playa Norte. You'll anchor there for snorkeling and lunch (and Jorge makes a mean ceviche--after all, his family owns Justicia Social). I had forgotten that we left half our party at Playa Norte but had to return to their dock to get our golf cart.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

Thanks everyone. Taxi price to the dive shop? (Yes. I have been known to "over plan" on vacation, but I like to know what to expect.) Thanks again. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

They are just a bit south of the old, larger Modelorama, so technically you should pay the colonias price (26 pesos) but we all know taxi rates are pretty "flexible." If you're going on your own I have some detailed driving directions from Dianne that seemed so complicated we made a dry run a few days earlier. Once you know where they are it's really pretty easy to find.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

I'll be taking the taxi....will they know where to go?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

Have you booked with them yet? Dianne tells me that when somebody books she sends them info including what to tell a cab driver. We were driving ourselves so she sent me explicit driving directions. From Dianne:

The phrase is "la casa de Maestro Gilberto Avalos en La Colonia Miraflores" that is a 3 story house and the marina wall is across the street. The marina wall (the only one there) has double doors, a single door and our banner - On Isla Mujeres Water Tours by Jorge de la O)

Edited: 28 April 2014, 21:17
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,092 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple more whale shark questions.....

Thank you for the info. No, I haven't booked yet. I'd better get on that. :)