We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clayton, NJ
14 posts
Save Topic
Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

I posted this on the Mexico forum but thought I might get more feedback here...

My fiance and I are trying to decide between Villa Rolandi and Secrets Capri for our honeymoon in Nov 2007. Can anyone who's been offer any advice?

We're in our mid 20's and looking for a place with an intimate, romantic setting. We'd like a place with a nice beach and pool, where we can have a few drinks and relax without having to worry about too many crowds. We also want a place with great food and nice rooms. We're not really interesting in heading into the towns, we'd really just like to take a break and enjoy each other.

This will actually be our first vacation that we've taken by ourselves so I really want to make it memorable. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

Two very different places. Secrets is all inclusive -- maybe that would be good if you wanted to just stick around the hotel. Rolandi's is really nice and does include a light breakfast and either lunch or dinner -- but not drinks. Could get VERY pricey. Isla is not a place to come and hang at the hotel either, the island is wonderful, peaceful, safe --- and the local food is soooo good. Hard choice -- but you will love either one.

boonies
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

Funny, we've spent the last two vacations at Secrets Capri, and briefly considered Villa Rolandi for our upcoming trip in January/

Secrets is completely an experience. You really are pampered by the staff, and the food and drinks are amazing compared to some places. We like to eat well on vacation, since we never get out as much to the "nice" ie nonkid places at home, so we're stuck cooking it ourselves on the weekends. Secrets creates the higher end dishes we're used to spending boatloads of time creating, and they do it well overall. As always, there are hits and misses, but that happens in my own kitchen, so can't fault that much.

All that said, we haven't stayed at Rolandi, but all the input I received was that it was similar EXCEPT it's not truly all inclusive...only 2 meals per day.

Rooms seem very similar to both resorts...both very nice.

Secrets has (last year at least) the only heated pool in the area; it's an insane 15 min. taxi ride to Playa del Carmen...the taxis were actually the biggest reason we looked for another resort...felt like we were placing our lives into the cabbies' hands each time, and some were pretty wild drivers! Secrets doesn't have much as far as nightlife...need to go to Playa for that.

The other reason we're passing on Secrets is last year they had a ton of sales convention people that really took over the resort (it's only a couple hundred rooms); they were obnoxious, and really abused and monopolized the extremely hard working staff. However, now that rooms in Cancun are open, that may not be an issue, but it really dampened our time last year.

Isla Mujeres is so much more laid back. Very different. We're not into the "pampered faux elegance" this year. Just chilling out. Hope you have a ball whichever you choose.

texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

Villa Rolandi is truly wonderful!!! If you want intimate, romantic, no crowds, beautiful views, AWESOME rooms, incredible food, and the best service around...you will love it here! The beach is very small but pretty. You won't be able to take long walks down the beach because it is private (exclusive to only Villa Rolandi's guests) and it is set almost like a large cove-like setting. I was concerned about this when my husband and I planned our trip here and it really wasn't a problem because we spent the majority of our time at the pool. The pool is gorgeous! It is a negative edge pool and as you are laying out it looks as if it blends into the ocean. The staff is truly remarkable. You will be greated by name and will become friends with the some staff members before you leave. The rooms are AWESOME. The shower has 6 jets, 3 on each side with a window looking out into the ocean. The patios all have private jacuzzis. Request a room on the far corner away from the stairs-2nd or 3rd floor and you'll be so happy. We had the 2nd floor corner room and we could see the moon from the jacuzzi on our balcony. You will not want the 1st floor because you won't have the privacy you will want. The food at the Villa Rolandi is the best I have had anywhere. We ate breakfast and dinner there and didn't need lunch. We did try other reccomended restaraunts on the island but nothing compared to theirs and we did not get tired of the menu. I am so jealous that you may be going...We can't wait to go back!!!! We have not been there since Cancun was hit so bad by the hurricane so I don't know if any damage has been done. I hope not. The island of Isla Mujeres is okay in my opinion. Villa Rolandi is what makes it so special to us. Do rent a golf cart one day and tour the island to get a feel for it. You will have a great time!

Clayton, NJ
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

Thank you everyone for your feedback, it looks like Villa Rolandi is what we're looking for. I spoke with their assistant manager and she said since it is so far in advance they can reserve a third floor room for us. Thanks for the advice!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

Imbanks,

So glad you chose Villa Rolandi. You will love it and Isla.

We had the end room on the first floor. It was wonderful. We were right there by the pool (felt like it was ours!), and the waiters were able to bring us drinks right to the jacuzzi when we ordered them. Don't rule out the first floor room on the end!

Have a great time! (I'm jealous too!)

6. Re: Villa Rolandi or Secrets Capri??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 22:17