We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Isla Advice

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Isla Advice

So I have figured out how to get to Isla, how to get a golf cart, and have also ordered the mapchick map. My boyfriend and I just want to explore the island and eat/drink/shop. Any recommendations of places that should be on our itinerary? Probably looking to go over around 8/9 am and leave around 5/6 pm.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

Mapchick map has a good suggestion on how to drive your cart on the island to really see it.

I would not miss stopping at the turtle farm . . . and walking up the lighthouse on the south end of the island.

As far as eating & drinking - the island has over 100 restaurants . . . really depends what you want.

I would tour the island, turn in my golf cart and head to the north beach - Playa Norte or wander around some of the shops in centro, if that is your thing. But I would stay and watch the sunset on Isla, have dinner and then go back . . . some of the sunsets on Isla are glorious!! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

Well it sounds like the hardest thing you've got to decide is where to have lunch :)

Sounds like you'll be heading out on your golf cart around 10am so I'd head south towards Garrafon and explore that end of the island. Some may disagree but I'd try not to do too much as you will have about six hours or so. You can drive around the south end and back in under an hour if you don't stop at too many places. After lunch you could drive to Playa Norte and park just to check out that fabulous beach. You should also check out Hidalgo St. (The main drag) which is where most of the restaurants and shops are. Centro is better explored on foot. This could be done after you've returned the golf cart near the end of your visit. Be aware that in Centro many of the streets are one way and not too much signage.

I'm sure you will have a blast and may think about returning some day for a longer visit.

Hope that helps.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

Walk up what lighthouse?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

The lighthouse on the south end of the island - just prior to the sculptures - you can walk up to the top. :)

If you want authentic Mexican, my favorite for lunch is La Lomitas for their black bean soup, but nothing much passes up on shrimp on the beach either . . .

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

Thanks for the advice coal miner! really appreciate it

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

walker E, thank you so much for your advice- you and coal miner basically said the same things. super excited!!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

I don't think you can walk up the lighthouse anymore unless they reopened it recently. But it's still a "must do" to go to Punta Sur, pay the small admission price into the sculpture garden and take the paths down to the water. Stunning scenery so make sure you have your camera or phone.

8. Re: Day Trip to Isla Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:16