We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food for 14 month old?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Food for 14 month old?

We arrive on Saturday and Im starting to stress about what food can my toddler eat?

When he was 7 months he was barely eating and mostly breastfeeding so I would give him avocadoes and fruits from the market, hard boiled egg from the buffet and would steam veggies for him in our steamer.

Now that he's eating whatever we are having, I'm wondering whether food on IM is safe for him? Of course I would not give him ceviche or salads but would anything else be clean enough to feed him?

I guess I'm looking for advice from people who have been with kids his age...

I'm wondering whether I should bring his steamer again?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food for 14 month old?

Chedraui store on Isla contains lots of infant / kid food including Gerber

1st: Tell us what you feed him now

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food for 14 month old?

Most toddlers eat more people type food than baby food . . . I would do the same thing that you would do for yourself with the same precautions you would use anywhere. My motto is the simpler food, the better. :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food for 14 month old?

Here he eats pretty much anything at daycare but at home I try to feed him simpler things like grilled salmon/chicken with veggies and rice, tuna cakes, any kinds of pasta, curried white fish, grilled cheese, fried rice/noodles, any kinds of grains, soups etc...

On IM I am not careful with my food. I eat street food, drink plenty coconuts, drink juices from plastic bags, fruits from carts, corn with chilli, mayo and lime on a stick, tamales from the beach vendors and I never got sick but I'm not sure I would feed those to my son.

I grew up on an island and ate street foods a lot so my stomach can handle it...

Been reading other posts and I guess I could order them quesadillas, sandwiches and stuff like these...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
653 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food for 14 month old?

Cheese quesadillas, rice and beans, chicken from the BBQ places, just about anything I'd guess! I think I'd probably make up snack bags to bring with me...animal crackers, trail mix, cheese curls, whatever he normally eats. Just because I'm careful I'd only give him fruit with skins such as bananas, oranges...if he still needs milk, you should probably see if the taste is the same?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food for 14 month old?

There's 'real' milk at OXXO at the ferry terminal in Puerto Juarez.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food for 14 month old?

The health department requires the restaurants to use Microdyn for all fruits & vegetables. I always felt comfortable sharing whatever I ordered with my two children. They ate everything & still do! Our son has been on the Island since he was two & a half months old & our daughter since she was four & a half weeks old. So I fed them through their toddler years.

Do bring lots of sunscreen, it is super expensive here. A hat is a good thing too.

Enjoy your time on Isla with your little one!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food for 14 month old?

I've traveled with all my kids since 5 months and I feed them (when they started eating) anything we ate, fruit salad, ceviche (my kids love it) and anything else they will eat. The plain pasta, fish, chicken, etc. is plentiful, so I'm sure you will have no problem.

Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food for 14 month old?

Glad to read all your comments!!! Relieved too...

I wanted to feed him grilled fish, fish tacos, Tikin Xic etc...but my mom is freaking out saying how there's bacteria in the food and his little tummy could not handle it.

I will definitely bring crackers, dried fruits, fruit pouches etc. bought 5 tubes of cream, only used one when he was still an infant. Hoping he'll enjoy IM as much as we do...

Tiffany, are you far from Centro now? I was hoping I could feed him your yummy paninis and cinnamon rolls everyday but realized you've moved!

Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
800 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food for 14 month old?

Gatine: how can i tell what's real milk versus milk in boxes outside of a fridge?

I didn't think about milk at all because I'm still breastfeeding but at daycare he does drink a cup of milk.

chicago
Level Contributor
569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food for 14 month old?

shelf stable milk is real milk.