We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale shark operators

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
whale shark operators

Hi- it will be our first time visiting Isla Mujeres. Recommendations for whale shark snorkel operators? Looking for smaller group, reliability, and long duration at whale shark site. How many times do people actually get to jump in since you have to rotate turns? Thanks much

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,586 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale shark operators

I know that Captain Tony Garcia is licensed and very experienced. I have not done this yet - someday! But I am sure others will chime in with their experience as I know there are several operators that do the whale shark tours. :)

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale shark operators

I HIGHLY recommend On Isla Waters. They are great. I ended up liking the manta rays just as much as the whale sharks. You can either take a taxi or golf cart to their place. Taxi is probably the best way to go as you will be on the water for almost the entire day.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale shark operators

We are sold on On Isla Mujeres. They have a large, comfortable boat and excellent customer service. Two people are put into the water at a time, accompanied by a guide, and the number of turns you get depends on a few factors--such as the number of people on board and everybody's appetite for continuing. On one trip we had a couple who were getting a little green so we all decided they needed to get back. You'll get at least 4-5 turns.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale shark operators

I don't want to sound unsypathetic (and hopefully it's not me on the green end of things) but in general the operators don't go back just because some passengers get sick, right?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whale shark operators

I don't know about the whale shark tours, but normally dive trips, fishing trips, snorkeling, etc. are not ended because someone is sick. Pretty much everyone knows that....the main reason I don't go! LOL

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whale shark operators

No, the operator did ask if anyone else wanted to go but we had seen more whale sharks than we could count and decided to call it a day for their benefit. Had we not had so much contact with the sharks we may not have been so sympathetic.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whale shark operators

No, they don't come back because someone is sick (I was incredibly ill :( ) but the group were kind enough to agree to take a 10 minute detour and drop me at Playa Norte at the end of the trip before they went and did their snorkelling.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,667 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: whale shark operators

quote: Looking for smaller group, reliability, and long duration at whale shark site.

All boats are restricted to 10 passengers with 1 guide and 2 passengers in the water at one time

Onisla heads out at 830 am and while they arrive later than the other Cancun boats, they stay later. Last August , all the boats (except 3) had left at 2 pm and we had about 90 whale sharks to ourselves for over 1 hour

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whale shark operators

We highly recommend Gato Avila with Minino tours. He is a licensed captain, speaks perfect English & is an all around great guy. You can email him at swimwithwhaleshark@icloud.com

10. Re: whale shark operators

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16