We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Supplies?

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
School Supplies?

We are starting to pack for our holiday and want to know what school supplies are most needed. Can someone direct me to a link or tell me what to bring and where to take it, Please? TIA

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School Supplies?

WentCoastal's thread from the volunteering TQ lists Barlitos as a drop off. Check with Tiffany though. The Little Yellow School House website has a wish list, some of it are USB flash drives, Mac keyboards, etc, so check it out. Also not sure if English language books are still needed so check with Tiffany.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k7025…

It's super nice of you to want to give back :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School Supplies?

littleyellowschoolhouse.org/i-want-to-help/

JMO but I've also donated cash as some of the items (at one time they needed white paint) can be bought there or that it's a bigger ticket item like a bed where they can pool people's money together and buy it.

Have a nice holiday.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Supplies?

School supplies are always a huge help because they are expensive down here & you have to go to Cancun to get them. Since there are no school taxes, parents have to buy everything for the school year, books, school supplies, toilet paper, soap, plastic cups, the list is endless. Some oft he school supplies are very expensive like pencils!! In addition to the Little Yellow School, we accept school supplies for the elementary kids in the public schools. Their list will include: pencils, colored pencils, fat markers, thin markers, scissors, scotch tape, erasers, white out, red, black & blue pens, permanent markers large res, blue & black, pipe cleaners, Glue (white), sparkles, little bottles of paint, highlighters, pencil boxes, back packs, copy paper, cellophane paper, note books, wooden puzzles for letters or numbers & etc.

We are always accepting English elementary level books for the English public library. We just had a couple foreign residents volunteer to help with the cataloguing, numbering & organizing of the books. Other volunteers for this are welcome too!

It may not seem like very much bringing a few books or school supplies but it really helps a lot. You can bring the donations to me & I coordinate with the intended organization. We also accept Isla Animal supplies & Zapatos Para los Ninos (gently used clean shoes or new shoes for kids).

Many thanks to all of you who give back to our Isla community!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School Supplies?

As always, very helpful. Tiffany, how do I contact you once I am on Isla? The friend I am traveling with is a retired French teacher and I am a retired high school English and Shakespeare teacher. We would love to visit a school and / or help out one of the days we are there. Perhaps summer holiday has started by June 16? Let me know how to find you, and Thanks again for the information.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School Supplies?

No, FineMind you will be in good shape, we are in school until July 18th. Volunquest the organization funding the English program in the public schools welcomes volunteers to read English stories to the kids during their lunch time. I am sure Kristen would love to hear from you. Her email is ktywan@gmail.com My email is barlito@live.com You can also come by my work. I am almost never not there! See you soon.

Kenai
Level Contributor
692 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School Supplies?

OH!! I didn't know about the reading to kids!! I would totally do this!! We will be there end of november until dec 19th or so.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
144 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School Supplies?

Tiffany - we will be there July 1-4 th and would love to bring supplies and read. My boys, 10 and 14 would enjoy a chance to read during their lunch.

How can I coordinate this with you??

I'll also drop you an email tomorrow.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School Supplies?

Trendzmom, I am sure your kids would enjoy it. The local kids love practicing their English with kids from the States! I will keep a look out for your email!

9. Re: School Supplies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16